Moderate Plus or Full Profile for Upper Pole Fullness? (photo)

I have old silver stretch marks from a growth spurt in my teens. I know implants wont affect them too significantly, but I'm hoping they will at least stretch out the stretch marks, to make them a little less noticeable. I can't seem to get a straight answer from my board certified PS. I'm due for surgery nov 2nd. My bwd is 11.8cm. I am 5'4", 118lbs. Muscular and lean. What implant would be best for upper pole fullness?

Wider implants for enhanced upper pole fullness

In general terms, an implant with a wider 'footprint' or diameter will give you the appearance of more upper pole volume. Having said that, I tend to use moderate plus profile implants on virtually all of my patients to keep implant decision making as simple as possible.

Maximize upper pole fullness by simultaneous Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

The best technique to increase upper pole fullness is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through the same incision, implants can be placed.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are stable long term, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Expectations from a breast augmentation

You would do well with an implant in the 325 to 350 range, moderate plus profile.  I would think that you would also accomplish your goal of making the stretch marks look less noticeable.  

What implant style?

I'm sorry but I don't let my patients select the style of implant as I choose it based on their dimensions and goals.  My patient picks the volume and I will choose the implant that fits on the chest best and provides the desired results.  If you pick too narrow of an implant, you will have too much space between your mounds.  Pick one too wide and your breasts will touch.  Your surgeon should be able to answer this question best.

Curtis Wong, MD

Getting upper pole fullness

Full profile implants are rounder and thus create more 'upper pole fullness'.  Moderate profile implants are flatter (but the difference can be minimal) so they have less 'fullness'. On the other hand for the same volume a moderate profile implant is wider so when it sits within your breasts, a larger diameter means the implant reaches up higher than a full implant would (ie 300cc full profile implant looks fuller and rounder while 300 cc medium profile would look flatter but the upper edge of the implant would span further up).   So it's not really what profile you want, it's what diameter you want, then the desired volume determines the profile.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Moderate Plus or Full Profile for Upper Pole Fullness?

Over the internet even with a nice posted photo we can ONLY guess to size needed. Always best to have a few IN PERSON opinions. My guess is a larger implant because of the "pseudo ptosis" effect, like 450 cc range HP implants. You might consider liposuction with fat grafting to upper poles of 100 to 200 cc's. As a possible donut lifting as a secondary operation under local anesthesia. Just some of my thoughts again without seeing you in person. //

Most implants will give upper pole fullness. You may need a minor lift. I would use silicone moderate profile plus is an appropriate size.

There is a pretty good reason for your surgeon to hesitate in answering this question. The answer is not entirely predictable. For an implant in the 300 cc range the moderate plus will reach about one cm higher on the chest, but will project about 1/2 cc less. It is not obvious which will give more upper pole fill. One thing that will make more difference than choice of contour. is under the muscle placement. Another is a breast lift--I can't quite tell from the single photo, but you may have a better outcome with a lift. 

All the best. 

Implant Profile

There are several points to discuss applicable to your situation. One, higher profile implants have a smaller diameter than lower profile implants of the same diameter. Two, breasts that sag and have loose skin will not look as full in the upper breast as breasts that are firm with no loose skin. From your pictures, you have low breasts with some laxity which will make your implants want to settle a little more when you take your bra off. I tend to like to use a larger base diameter implants in your situation because I believe it gives a more natural contour to the breast.

Moderate versus high profile implants

Breast implant profile is mostly determined by the volume that the patient decides that she wants compared to the base diameter of her breast. If she wants large volume implants but has a narrow chest, then high profile implants are a better choice because they have a narrower diameter. Lack of superior fullness may be better corrected by moderate profile implants with a larger base diameter- They will spread out  a little more in all directions and fill the upper pole of the breast. Ultimately this needs to be decided by you in close consultation with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Daniel A. Medalie, MD