I'm 23 but my Eyes Are 50! What Can I Do? (photo)

I have youthful looking skin everywhere except under my eyes. When people look at me I feel its the first thing they notice. I often am asked if I am tired or sleep deprived. I have sunken areas under my eyes and also battle with dark circles and small wrinkles. I am only 23! Is it a bad idea for someone my age to look into plastic surgery methods or fat transfer methods? If so what age do you recommend I wait til?

Doctor Answers 11

You have several options for under eye problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At your age, the simple solutions to tear trough and infraorbital hollows are fat transfer and HA fillers such as Belotero or Restylane (diluted to prevent overcorrection and puffiness). Dark circles and fine wrinkles can be treated with light chemical or laser peels which heal quickly, or with intensive skin care. I recommend a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in these treatments.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Tear Troughs at 23

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   The tear troughs can be improved with Restylane to give you an idea of the change.  Then fat grafting can be contemplated at a later date.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat transfer for under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear LoveEvents

  • Your two options include Restylane under the eyes or fat grafting
  • Both are great and fat grafting will even make the skin glow a little more
  • It will make a big difference in the way your eyes look
  • When you are ready, please visit a qualified surgeon who can address both options for you

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Lower eyelid bulges, bags, and dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Younger patients with lower eyelid bulges, bags, or dark circles are generally treated with facial fillers or fat injection. Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Restylane or Belotero, can help fill the depressions and smooth the lower eyelid area. Non-surgical treatments are a good option prior to considering eyelid plastic surgery. 

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki


Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Lower lid fat prolapse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the photos posted, you seem to have moderate lower eyelid fat prolapse and fine wrinkling, crepiness to the lower eyelid skin.

Fillers would be a possibility for addressing the hollowness [tear trough] just underneath the baggy eyelid. This is a temporary fix that will need to be repeated, but it maybe a good start for someone that wants to avoid surgery.

Lower lid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning [not removal] would be my surgical recommendation for you. Additionaly, you could consider a chemical peel, or mild laser resurfacing around the eyes to address the fine wrinkling.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Fillers for tear trough and maybe some botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a common issue that we see often.  The sunken areas, or tear troughs, can be treated with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or filled in with fat (the fat is taken from your tummy or flank area and injected into the tear trough region).  Juvederm is temporary but can last up to a year.  Fillers are a good way to start as they are temporary.  If you are happy, you may decide to have fat transfer, which when done correctly can lead to permanent correction.  Most patients have some minor bruising and swelling after the treatment.  You may want to schedule it when you have a weekend to recover, without major events.  Be sure to see an experience injector or surgeon who performs fat grafting.  In inexperienced hands, even experienced ones, you can have side effects such as firm areas, lumps, and contour irregularities.

Elizabeth Kim, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Lower eyelid fat bags with tear troughs.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lower eyelid fat bags with tear troughs can be handled with filler IF the fat bulges are small. Otherwise you need a transconjunctival blepharoplasty with fat repositioning.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Tear trough filers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Loveevents,

This is a common occurrence in many young ladies and it presents at an early age. I have models who come in with the same complaints due to the shadowing this causes in photographs and many are younger then you so age is not the question here. Many surgeons prefer to use a Hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or restylane to fill this tear trough area. Make sure you go to a surgeon who has a lot of experience in this field and this particular area. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The oblique lines which originate near your nose and extend inferolaterally are called "tear troughs" and are a consequence of the skin's thinness, which accentuate subcutaneous veins and magnify the bony orbital floor.  Conventional eyelid lifts, which remove skin and fat only exacerbate the condition.  Find an experienced injector who can use Hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm or Belotero to "blend" the junction between the lower lid and cheek groove.  But err on the side of starting slowly, ie: use small amounts rather than creating excessive bulk in this thin skinned area.  good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Fillers or Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fillers or fat would be effective options for treating your lower eyelid finding. You may want to try a filler like restylane from an expert injector with experience in this area before moving on to fat.  All the best.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.