Is a vertical scar necessary in addition to the horizontal scar in my case? (photos)

I had a consultation with a board certified PS who told me I was a good candidate for full tt . He told me he would place the horizontal incision very low and because my belly button is high I might end with a vertical scar as well. He assured me he would place the vertical scar petty low. I do not mind a low vertical scar if it is necessary. I do wish to keep my natural hour glass shape after the tt. My question is if the vertical scar is necessary as well ?

Is a vertical scar necessary in addition to a horizontal scar?

Than you for the photos. We make every effort to avoid a vertical scar when doing a TT. It would help very much to to see how much redundant skin there truly is with a thorough examination.Usually we can avoid a vertical incision:) Good Luck!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Is a vertical scar necessary in addition to the horizontal scar in my cas

The lower you place the horizontal incision the greater the likelihood of a vertical incision as well with your skin excess.

To be determined

Thank you for reaching out and sharing photos! As a few other surgeons have answered, sometimes a small vertical incision is used in cases where the patient has a high belly button. This allows the scar to stay low, you will definitely be able to keep your hour glass figure! The vertical incision will not affect that, and in most cases where i have used a small vertical incision, I am able about a year posts op to remove it. I would visit a few experienced board certified surgeons to get opinions on whether or not this is needed, but it is best determined with an in person consultation. best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

To be determined

Is a vertical scar necessary with a full TT?

Sometimes a small vertical scar(old belly button incision) is necessary if a patient does not have enough loose skin to pull it out. It looks to me like you do have enough. It should not only keep your hour glass figure but enhance it!!

Abdominoplasty vertical scar

Hello, As your plastic surgeon explained to you, sometimes when the umbilicus is high, there is a small possibility of short vertical scar in the midline, low down. This is usually well concealed and necessary in certain cases. In your pictures, your umbilicus looks high.

Abdominoplasty vertical scar

Is a vertical scar necessary in addition to the horizontal scar in my case?

From your photos and what you have "heard" and explained, your plastic surgeon will make a low horizontal incision for the tummy tuck and skin removal. Because the distance from your umbilicus at present is considerable and all the skin between the low incision and your umbilicus may not be able to be removed, the opening where the umbilicus is detached will remain - pulled down in your lower abdomen (like an old window shade). This opening will need to be closed - converted to a vertical line - and a new opening for your belly button will be made in the appropriate place higher up. He is NOT recommending a full vertical incision of your abdomen in addition to the horizontal one.

This does happen on occasion and is entirely appropriate and correct. You may just want to re-discuss this with him so you understand the concept.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Based on the photos, you appear to have a long torso. This means that there will be a long distance between the low abdominal incision and your belly button. If the original incision around the belly button can't be removed, then that belly button incision can be converted to a small vertical scar low on the abdomen. Another option would be to float the belly button to avoid that scar. Either way, I think that you still be pleased with your appearance.

Tummy tuck

I have never had to use a vertical scar on a tummy tuck no matter how low I placed the incision.  Your surgeon may just be telling you this because it is a possibility, although unlikely.  You should clarify with him if he or she be finitely plans a vertical scar or if it is only a small possibility.

Tummy tuck

Tummy tuck

Hi, thanks for sharing your concern and photos with us!

First I want to congratulate you for making this important decision. Deciding to get an aesthetic procedure to change your body and get a new life style is a big step!

Looking at your photos I might say that you´ll be a great candidate to get a tummy tuck, this is because all the extra skin located in this areas plus your abdominal muscle needs to be repaired. Before all this, of course, you need to get a complete medical evaluation and laboratory exams to check everything is fine. For us your safety, always, is going to be first.

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Tummy tuck

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Hopefully you have enough loose skin so that a vertical tummy tuck scar will not be necessary.  However it is appropriate and smart extra plastic surgeon advise use of a small vertical scar may be necessary.  To learn more please read below: