How much swelling is normal or to be expected after abdominal liposuction?

I had liposuction of the abdomen eight days ago. I knew there would be swelling, but I guess I didn't really realize how much there would be. Due to the swelling, I am larger than I was before the procedure. Is this normal? I am sure it will go away in time. But I am feeling discouraged right now. I do wear the compression garment constantly.

Swellling after tummy liposuction - how much?

Thank you for asking about your tummy liposuction.

• Everyone is discouraged at this point so don't worry!
  • Yes, you are larger than before, this is normal and is from swelling.
  • You will see a little improvement in another week, obvious improvement in 5 weeks and your final result in about six months.
  • Since you'll get your best result if you lose weight so the fat doesn't appear in the areas, what about distracting yourself by walking or doing other exercise approved by your surgeon?

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Swelling After Abdominal Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question. At eight days after a liposuction procedure, you will still be in the very early stages of healing. Swelling is to be expected during this time, and may take six months or longer to completely resolve. Follow your surgeon’s post-op instructions carefully, including the use of a compression garment, which can help to reduce swelling in the treatment area. If you still have concerns, I suggest contacting your operating surgeon for further advice and instructions. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Post Liposuction swelling -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

I suggest you see an expert to start RF treatments, massage and that you have the right compression on .  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post - operative recovery period. Swelling will gradually subside over the next three - six months. You may wear a compression garment over the next several months if you feel it helps. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.