Severe bruising normal? (photos)

I had a breast reduction 4 days ago and I'm having some significant bruising to both breasts. The complete lower halves are covered in a yellow/purple/red bruise. It is also slightly raised and numb to the touch. This morning I woke up on my left side and had significant pain in that breast as a result. Could this be a complication or does it look normal?

Severe Bruising

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. After 4 days, there will be significant amounts of bruising. However, if you feel it is abnormally painful, please follow up with your surgeon right away. I wish you the best of luck.

Brusing after surgery

Some patients can get bruising worse than others. It really depends on the person. I would advise you contact your surgeon to get them to have a look.

From your picture it is hard to tell what type of breast reduction was done or how much breast tissue was removed.  There certainly can be various amounts of bruising.  If there is a collection of blood under the skin and this is causing a deformity of your breasts, you should have this looked at right away.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon