Puffy Areola - Fix without areola reduction?

Hi, I'm a 19 year old female with puffy areolae. The diameter of my areolae aren't a concern, just the puffiness. I noticed that lots of doctors were suggesting an areola reduction as a solution to the puffy problem, but is there an alternative fix if I'm not bothered by the size? Thanks in advance.

Puffy areola correction techniques

For a female with puffy areolas, the best option for correction is typically skin excision around the perimeter of areola.  On a male patient, most often I will remove the breast tissue behind (deep to) the areola, without removing skin.  The key difference is that female breast tissue is functional and needs to be preserved for the possibility of future breastfeeding and is also helpful for maintaining nipple sensation.

Puffy areola

If you don't want an areola reduction, you may consider ultrasonic liposuction which will allow you to remove likely fat and some glandular tissues that are pushing on and stretching out your areolas.

Arian Mowlavi, MD