What is a 'liquid' face lift? (photos)

I am considering a full face lift, have had a consultation and am worried that I may go too far, if I can correct my sagging neck (turkey) I would be ok leaving the rest to injections of fillers. Does this seem a reasonable alternative? I do understand that the former has a more lasting result but I am concerned about potential complications.

What is a Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question.  A liquid facelift typically refers to the non-surgical rejuvenation as an alternative to a surgical facelift.  Our faces will 'deflate' with the aging process, i.e. we lose volume in our face.  In addition, we tend to lose support in our facial tissues in terms of loss of collagen, elastin and other support structures in our face.  The liquid facelift is most commonly a term that address the 'deflation' process by adding volume with dermal fillers.  Dermal fillers tend to have different longevity, but answering this question tends to be more nuanced.  Typically, people tend to see their results last anywhere from 6 months to a couples years depending on the product, how much was used and where it was placed I often tell patients that a more appropriate way to think about it is the analogy of a glass of water. If you come to visit and the glass is 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty), then we need 3/4 of water to fill it up.  In six months, you may notice the glass is 3/4 full (i.e. you lost 1/4 of the glass volume).  At 1 year, you may notice that the glass is 1/2 full.  At 18-24 months, you may notice that you are back to where you started. In addition, patients are losing more volume as they age so some patients may get the impression that if they only do one treatment to fill the glass, then after a couple years they may feel like the glass is even more empty than when they first started. Most of my patients will come every 3-4 months for their Botox / Dysport treatments and we reassess their facial concerns.  It is fairly common to address a portion of the volume loss as they come in.  For example, if we did a cheek treatment last time, then we might address tear troughs this time.  The next time, we might address the temples or forehead/brows with dermal fillers.  The following time, we might do the lips and nasolabial folds or define the jawline.  Very commonly, if we are following this plan, we also 'touch up' areas that are starting to show the 3/4 full appearance.  At times, we do it all at once and then maintain with 'touch-up' treatments using far less volume every 6-12 months rather than wait until the glass is 1/4 full again. I would recommend that you visit with an experience board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help develop an aesthetic care plan for you. 

Liquid Facelift

In some cases with mild gravitational aging, replacing volume with fillers can achieve a very natural and rejuvenated result.  In your case I would suggest a lift and fill approach where a traditional facelift would be combined with volume replacement.  

John Burns, MD

What is a liquid face lift?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  A liquid facelift is a popularized term for the combined use of fillers and botox to provide facial rejuvenation/enhancement.  I can understand your cause of concern for a major surgery such as a facelift, but I do think it is likely in your best interest for the best degree of improvement and longevity of results.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Liquid facelift

A liquid facelift is the use of a variety of injectable products, including Botox® and dermal fillers, to treat the signs of aging and create the appearance of a "facelift" without the need for surgery. Different combinations of injections can be chosen depending on the desired result and the areas of concern. It is important to note though that injectables will not give you the same results as surgery, and they do not address loose, sagging skin that may be best removed with surgery.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

A liquid facelift is a procedure whereby we add lost volume such as Juvederm or Restylane and use Botox as well to rejuvenate the face and correct facial aging.  It will not have an effect on loose sagging skin which is why I often combine the injections with Thermage to produce new collagen to the face and neck.  Best, Dr. Green

What is a 'liquid' face lift?

Thank you for your question. To improve the lower face and neck takes a face lift for best results. Adding a fat transfer at the same time can add more volume to your results. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a treatment plan that will give you the results you want to achieve.

The full program is best

You are a candidate for a full face lift and afterward fillers can be added as needed for ideal results.  There are not real shortcuts in this business.   Seek several consultations.  My Best,  Dr C

What is a "liquid' face lift?

A "liquid face lift" is a procedure in which injectable fillers, such as Voluma, Juvederm, Restylane are injected into areas of the face which have lost volume, tone, and may be sagging.  Typical areas of treatment are the cheeks, lips, marionette lines, oral commissures (corners of the mouth), and nasolabial folds.  In your case they may provide a good adjunct to a face lift, but not a substitution for one.  I would suggest starting with the neck and face lift surgery and the fillers could be considered to further achieve the  results you desire.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Face Lift Not for the Lower Face and Neck

If you want to improve your neck (and jawline - they go together), then you need surgery.  A face lift is the best way to address the loose skin and heaviness along the jawline and in the neck.  A face lift shouldn't change anything about your eyes.  You can proceed with face lift surgery to address the sagging turkey neck and if you want, you can use fillers and Botox around the eyes.  Fillers and Botox can make improvements around the eyes but can't do much for a heavy neck.  There are also some signs of aging around the eyes that Botox and fillers will not address.  Speak with your surgeon and let him know your concerns so he can be more specific.  Good luck.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - Wayne, NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

A liquid face lift is basically a usage of Botox or fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma. It is not used for the neck its more for the the upper face. I see from your photos that with the loose skin in the neck usually requires a face/neck lift. You would have a very nice result with a full face and neck lift. Its always best to go to your primary care provider or surgeon to get a full evaluation and consultation before making a decision.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon