I was told about 10 treatments to my abdomen of coolscultping would make my fat disappear. Is this accurate? (photo)

I am on week 3 post lower abdomen first treatment and needless to say I haven't seen any results. I feel like I have made a very costly mistake. I just want all abdomen fat gone. Is coolscultping a viable way to do so without the scarring of liposuction or a tummy tuck? Or should I consider other options.

Will Coolsculpting do the job?

Whether 10 cycles or treatments, though VERY effective, Coolsculpting will not sculpt you a flat, fat free tummy.  Coolsculpting really is ideal for people at or near their goal weight, that have localized areas of stubborn fat.  Though you would certainly see an improvement, you would not be rid of your of the fat completely.  Consider an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to explore your best options.

CoolSculpting Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. Coolsculpt is an excellent procedure to get rid of unwanted fat and each treatment is able to remove at least 20% of the fat cells that were in the applicator cup. It is non-invasive and will not leave you with any scars. With that being said, 10 applicators may be the number of treatments you need. Because it takes 2-3 months to see the full effect of each treatment it can take several months before you are happy with results. Hope this helps, regards Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

I was told about 10 treatments to my abdomen of coolscultping would make my fat disappear. Is this accurate?

Thank you for your question. It takes about 9-12 weeks to see results from the treatment. I would recommend speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about coolsculpting, and determine if you are a candidate. You will also get a chance to explore other procedures and find an option that fits you best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Look into other options

I would get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon and discuss liposuction or tummy tuck options... they would probably be cheaper than 10 sessions of Coolsculpting.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Flat Abdomen

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for the right patient.  In this case, I believe you are a better candidate for cosmetic surgery if you desire a flat abdomen!  As a cosmetic surgeon, I have the luxury of presenting patients with the best solution (surgical or non-surgical) to meet a patients desires.  Not only will you not get the results you desire but receiving 10 treatments, you will probably have spent more $ than what liposuction or a tummy tuck would cost.  I recommend you see a cosmetic surgeon for their opinion.

H. Christopher Coley, MD
Greensboro General Surgeon

CoolSculpting Treatments

CoolSculpting will reduce the amount of fat cells by about 25% with each procedure.  So, yes, it will work, but it depends on how many treatments you do on each area to get the results you are looking for.  That being said, from your pictures it looks like your issue may not only be fat, but also loose skin.  CoolSculpting and liposuction may help the appearance of the skin some, but probably will not completely tighten the already loose skin.  An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) would probably be a more guaranteed procedure if you want a flat tummy.    

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Removing all my abdominal fat with CoolSculpting?

Thank you for the photos. Fret not on not seeing results just yet as you are just entering the window when changes post CoolSculpting can be seen. CoolSculpting is an excellent procedure for permanent fat removal/reduction however is limited to approximately 20-25% change in the area treated. Keeping this in mind and your desire to have "all the abdominal fat gone" this would require multiple sessions in the area. Pricing is usually based as a "per cycle" with a cycle being every time the applicator is placed over an area of fat. Based on the photos you may require at least 10 cycles if not more to achieve your desired results. This cost and time needed to achieve these results could be easily offset with a single session of liposuction. Despite the more invasive nature as compared to CoolSculpting you would be able to have the procedure and full recovery before a second round of treatments with CoolSculpting could be undertaken. This is something you should consider based on what you have told us.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

How about completing removal of all of your fat deposits with a single traditional liposuction session. I feel that your entire abdomen could be treated in a more effective, single session, and more economical alternative than coolsculpting. Please see article below for more detail.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Coolsculpting and Results

Coolsculpting is a great procedure but will not remove all of the fat in the abdominal area.  It is really best to be within 10 pounds of your ideal weight before proceeding with the procedure.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

How many coolsculpting treatments will it take?

Coolsculpting is a proven technology for reducing fat from the waist, thighs and flanks. The amount of fat reduced is 20 % per treatment. This is an excellent treatment option for those patients who are interested in non surgical options for addressing recalcitrant fat which is refractory to diet and exercise. 

While coolsculpting is effective at thinning fat, it is not a substitute for patients who have severe adipose tissue and very loose skin with diastasis of their rectus muscles. These patients are well suited for a tummy tuck. Even repeated coolsculpting treatments are unlikely to shrink the skin once the fat is removed. 

Here is a good patient for a tummy tuck consideration. Look at the patients profiled on the sponsored doctors to get a realistic idea of treatment options.