If hair loss has started at a young age like 18, is there 100 percent chance it's going to be a bald head?

20 years of age now,on , do I have any luck of not all of it disappearing or it eventually stoping or if it has started at a young chance is it 100 percent going bald? Has anyone's start young and stop eventually? Also on propecia now.

Nothing is 100% aside from death and taxes (so they say). If you have hair loss, you need to see a doctor for a diagnosis.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

See a specialist

An internet forum isn't really a place to come looking for a diagnosis and prognosis.  Please see a local hair restoration specialist that can examine your scalp and give you a more definitive answer based on an examination.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Young patients with hair loss

It is not for sure.  You need to see a hair specialist who can evaluated your miniaturiztion levels by microscope.  Only after that and after looking into your family pattern someone can predict your future hair loss pattern.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss at an early age

In my opinion, there are a couple things that you can do to decrease the amount of hair loss. Finasteride is an excellent drug. I do recommend that you read about post finasteride syndrome. It occurs in a small percentage of people. Low level laser and minoxidil when combined with finasteride and a low anabolic, high amino acid diet and supplements work well. Lately we have been performing platelet rich plasma injections on younger individuals. We have seen a marked decrease in the amount of hair loss. This must be continued. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

I am balding, will I go completely bald?

The most advanced balding pattern occurs in only 7% of men. Find out what your family pattern looks like and you will know what is your probably worst case balding pattern.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Chance of going bald

Nothing is ever 100 %, but the risks are increased significantly in males who develop hair loss at early ages. 

But finasteride (Propecia) can change all those odds and numbers for you. Finasteride can drastically alter your balding process, rate of hair loss and future balding.