Excessive vaginal hymen remnants? What is this? And how can it be fixed? (Photo)

Recently I have noticed some sudden changes around my vaginal opening. Gyno says its hymen remnants but there is growth/tissue blocking 90% of where my vaginal opening was. This has been quite sudden. My last period was 2.5 weeks ago and everything appeared normal. My gyno barely checked me and said the flaps of skin can be frozen off, however I am not satisfied with this solution considering the fact that my entire vaginal opening seems to be blocked by tissue. Have not had kids. Please help.

Doctor Answers 5

Swollen hymenal tags sticking out from vaginal opening...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your hymenal skin tags look entirely normal from the photo posted. It is not unusual for them occasionally to get swollen from sex of irritation from sports activities. Usually just rest will "cure," but if this is an ongoing problem they may be "trimmed.": Best to go to a cosmetic Gyn or plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

 Michael P Goodman, MND

Davis, CA, USA

Hymen tags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello. Thank you for your question and photo. Hymen remnants are present ever since first intercourse (or since the hymen was initially broken). They do not usually change or grow. They can swell if the vagina has been irritated by an allergy to lubricant or condoms or by yeast infection. I wonder if you have other symptoms. It can change due to hormonal shifts causing enforgorement of the tissue (for example during pre-menstrual time or ovulation). It may very well be that you've just started to notice this and maybe could track the changes. I wonder when you say blocked if you mean you can no longer insert anything into the vagina. If this issue persists a more thorough examination/evaluation may be warranted. Best wishes

Dr Poucher

Vaginal Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photograph.  A physical examination would need to be performed to better evaluate your condition to determine would need to be excised.  I would recommend consultation with an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if that requires traveling.  Best of luck.   

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

You might also like...

Get your tags removed. Biopsy if concerned about normality.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your hymenal tags can be removed by many different methods. If they've increased in size recently, it's possible that you have an infection. If the usual suspects are ruled out, then they can also be sent for pathologic analysis. The don't look like genital warts from photo, but it's low resolution. Get a second opinion if lyou wish.

Hymen remnants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Excess tissue looks like hymenal remnants based on the photo. There is no danger to your health. They most likely will go away after delivery. If they cause you discomfort - surgical removal can be done, which is pretty straightforward. Freezing may need several treatments and may not reduce tissue as desired. Hope this helps

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.