CoolSculpting gets rid of fat but what happens to the excess skin?

Specifically I am a 60 year old women that weighs about 125 lbs but I have the dreaded under arm fat that just hangs when arms are held straight out. Beyond fat there is also loose skin. Will there just be less fat but more loose skin hanging after the full results of the coolsculpting are complete or does the skin also tighten with the procedure?

Loose Skin of Arms

CoolSculpting is an extremely effective procedure for permanently reducing unwanted fat, and loose skin does typically show some contraction in most treatment areas for most patients.  The amount of skin contraction seen with CoolSculpting depends on several factors, including age and treatment area.  However, in my experience, significant loose skin on the arms is unlikely to tighten sufficiently with CoolSculpting.  I would recommend that you see a dermatologic or plastic surgeon for a liposuction consultation, as liposuction is more likely to result in greater skin contraction during the healing process.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for arms

CoolSculpting is an excellent procedure to reduce fat, however, is not yet approved for skin tightening. In my opinion you may want to consider speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon about a brachioplasty.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting and Loose Skin for Arms

You ask a great question. Sounds most likely that you would not be happy with cool sculpting of the arms. I am very skeptical with cool sculpting on the arms bc most clients suffer with loose skin as well at your age. Most likely for true improvement you would need a surgical procedure. Without a picture it's hard for me to give you a true opinion but if you decide to do a consult seek one at a board certified plastic surgeon's office who can give you all the information necessary for best decisions! Best of Luck 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lax Skin After CoolSculpting

Thank you very much for your question. CoolSculpting can provide excellent results when addressing isolated deposits of fat. Each session will provide about 20-25% reduction in fatty tissue, and a second procedure can be performed for even greater results. However, CoolSculpting cannot improve stretched, lax skin. A brachioplasty can address both the fatty tissue and the lax skin, smoothly sculpting the upper arm. Despite the fact that a brachioplasty will result in a scar, running from the elbow to the axilla, most patients are extremely happy with their results. My recommendation is that you schedule a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she can determine the most effective arm lift options to achieve your desired results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpting and Excess Skin

CoolSculpting is for excess fat and not for skin tightening. Depending on how much loose skin there is there are different treatment options available. For extreme cases, a surgical procedure may be required, for smaller areas there are many different skin tightening devices we use at your offices such as ThermiSmooth, Thermage and Ultherapy.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and underarms

The underarms is a tricky area when it comes to CoolSculpting mainly because the provider needs to differentiate between skin laxity and excess fat. CoolSculpting is a fat reduction procedure and not a skin tightening procedure. That being said, the inflammation associated with CoolSculpting does result in some  skin tightening. If skin tightening is your issue then I would probably consider a different non-surgical skin tightening procedure (usually RF or Ultrasound based) or a surgical procedure (brachioplasty). If fat is the concern, then CoolSculpting will work well.

CoolSculpting arms

In my experience, CoolSculpting will not worsen the appearance of loose skin.  Occasionally, patients even notice a mild amount of tightening.  Although, the procedure is not indicated for skin tightening.  It is imperative to be evaluated by an experienced provider who can determine if CoolSculpting will meet your needs.  If you have more excess skin than fat, CoolSculpting may not be the best treatment.  For patients with small areas of excess tissue and minimal amounts of loose skin, CoolSculpting can be extremely effective at improving the appearance of the arms.  If a patient is adverse to surgery, you may benefit from CoolSculpting followed by a skin tightening procedure.  While the results of a non-surgical treatment will never match the results of surgery, for many patients avoiding the down time and scars are worth the trade. 

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift

Thank you for your question.  You sound to be in excellent shape.  It is not uncommon to have stubborn areas of fatty tissue despite strict diet and exercise.  For these areas, there are several options including surgical and nonsurgical.  One great nonsurgical option is Coolsculpting which can decrease the amount of fatty tissue by 20-25% in each treated area.  However, the treatment does not do anything to tighten loose, hanging skin.  If your main problem is loose skin of the upper arms, a brachioplasty or arm lift may be your best option.  I suggest you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons experienced in both the brachioplasty procedure as well as Coolsculpting so that he or she may recommend the most appropriate treatment.  Hope this helps!

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting does not tighten skin. If you are interested in removing loose skin, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person assessment. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. coolsculpting targets the fat cells; however, since the fat reduction is a gradual process over three months, the skin has a chance to retract itself to some degree.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD