Is breast lift required? Can different sized implants correct the asymmetry? (Photo)

After breast feeding 3 children I am strongly considering breast augmentation. I started with an A and went as large as a large B during breastfeeding. After researching different clinics I have decided to meet with a surgeon at the Edelstein clinic in Toronto. My concern is with whether or not I can achieve the improvements I'm hoping for without having to have both a lift and augmentation. Is it worth the travel to Toronto just to be told that I'm not a good candidate?

Breast augmentation

obviously the final answer is when you meet with your board certified plastic surgeon. As a quick view just from the pictures I would certainly keep it simple and do just the enlargement alone. You'll probably get just about what you're asking for and if necessary 6 months or a year later some type of relatively small adjustment but I doubt that you asked for it. Good luck.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Is breast lift required?

It is not clear from the photos, but you can place a ruler in the fold under each breast and if the nipple is higher than the fold, no lift is required. If the nipple is barely below the fold, a periareolar lift may help but is not totally necessary. Saline implants can be filled to different volumes to help with the very minor volume asymmetry you have, but silicone come prefilled and a larger implant in the smaller breast will probably convert it to the larger breast. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Can I have just a small uplift of my breasts?

I would recommend a very small uplift with the incision on the top of your areola. This would increase the distance between your areola and the natural breast line below your breasts and position your nipple better. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

If desiring 'perfect' symmetry of your nipples

you will need something done to the lower one to elevate it.  As for needing a lift, if you're willing to accept the results from the augmentation alone, you can always have your augment first and then decide if you want to accept the scarring and costs of having a lift done.  My patients save a lot but having minimal lifts done in the office after they have healed to their satisfaction.  As for different sized implants, use it only if your initial asymmetry is considerable... as implants do camouflage size differences to some degree.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast surgery

A lift can raise your  nipples so they are at the same level.  But there is no need to fly all the way to Toronto for your surgery.  There are plenty of surgeons in Southern California who can deal with your situation.
best regards,
Dr. Edelson ( no relation)

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Asymmetry

depending on the size you want to be, you may not need a lift.
I perform different size and shape implants all the time to correct asymmetries.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Most likely not

Thank you for the question.  You should seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to assess your candidacy for augmentation and/or a lift, but it does look like you could achieve a nice natural result with adequate volume with augmentation alone. He should look at photographs of what you're trying to achieve and bring those to your consultation.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift?

You appear to be a grade 1 or 2 sagginess, but this can only be confirmed on exam. In my office, patients with similar findings will be recommended a breast lift and implants combination. Implants only will lead to "low big" breasts. A periareoalr (donut) or lollipop usually depending on how saggy the exam shows. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Lift Likely Not Required

Looking at your photos, it doesn't seem that you will need a lift procedure. An appropriate width implant with adequate projection will increase the upper pole fullness and increase nipple projection. Your nipple position will improve following the procedure for approximately 9 months as the implant expands the lower pole. At that point you could re-evaluate the result and decide for yourself if you would like to proceed with a lift.
The asymmetry is hard to evaluate with your current photos as they are not taken straight on. I expect the subtle size difference will be insignificant following the breast augmentation. The ultimate way to correct the size and shape asymmetry is to have a lift procedure however this could be determined later once the final result is determined. The Toronto surgeon should be able to better evaluate your condition and offer an appropriate solution.  
Good luck.

Lift

Thank you for the question and photos and from them without an examination it would appear you do not need a lift but that would be confirmed at your consultation

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD