Can you be awake during a breast augmentation?

I'm planning to get my breasts done, the most ccs possible. I was wondering if I could request to stay awake during the surgery. I Have a high pain tolerance. But mostly because I dislike being put to sleep. Is this possible or has this been done before with some freezing.

General anesthesia recommended

Typically breast augmentations are performed while the patient is under general anesthesia.  This is not only for the comfort of the patient, but also for her safety.  If you have specific concerns about going under general anesthesia, most surgeons can direct you to the anesthesiologist or anesthesiology group that he/she works with who may be able to talk with you and alleviate your concerns.

General anesthesia for breast augmentation

Breast augmentations are almost always performed under general anesthesia. When anesthesia is administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist it is safe and comfortable for the patient. If you have concerns about going under general anesthesia, please discuss these with your board-certified plastic surgeon so that together you can make the best anesthesia decision for you.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

you should request to have your breast augmentation with IV sedation (MAC anesthesia) if you don't want to have general anesthesia.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Awake Breast Augmentation

Most surgeons perform breast augmentation under general anesthesia for patient comfort.  Wile it is possible to do it under local, generally speaking patients are sedated.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Every surgeon will have his/her preference. I prefer the use of general anesthesia provided by a board-certified anesthesiologist. I have found that the use of general anesthesia is safe, comfortable for the patient, and predictably maintains a patient in a good position (without movement) during the procedure. I think the latter is important as we are trying to achieve as much symmetry is possible.

Most breast augmentations performed these days are sub pectoral for various reasons. In order to create a pocket under your muscle the surgeon has to release your chest muscle from the rib cage. I have never performed a breast augmentation without general anesthesia but I can imagine how painful it must be, not to mention the safety concerns.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Breast augmentations are usually performed while patients are asleep under general anesthesia. However, a breast augmentation could be performed while the patient is awake with local anesthesia and an anesthesiologist providing IV sedation (Local MAC). Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Awake for a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Although I have heard of a few plastic surgeons doing breast augmentations with patients "awake", this is not typically done.  One big part is for your comfort.  It is not comfortable to be awake for this type of surgery.  Another important thing to consider is how to best help your surgeon.  If you are not comfortable, then your surgeon may not be able to do the best job.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

High epidural Block

Im surprise with the answers of my colleagues here. This is a procedure that is done pretty well with a high epidural block. In fact, in my practice almost all my patients stay awake for this surgery, unless they ask not to. 

I, like a few other colleagues offer online consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss what will be the proper treatment to achieve the result you desires.
Regards,

Dr. Luis Redondo

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

It is possible, but just because something is possible does not mean that it should be done. The procedure should be as comfortable and as positive an experience as possible, which is not what would occur under just a local anesthesia.

I would not suggest it for any I know.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon