Am I a good candidate for a Breast reduction? (photos)

5'5", 143lbs, 36DD/DDD breasts. I have significant back problems (one side of back is dulled nerve-wise as in I don't really feel when someone is touching it, copious amounts of upper back pain, constant readjustment of my posture in an attempt to make my back hurt less, indentations on shoulders from wearing bras, neck pain, and my spine is starting to curve). I'm from Ontario, Canada; would I be able to get this reduction covered by OHIP?

Are you a candidate for a BR?

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast reduction

yes you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction from the pics that I see.  I do a wise pattern inferior breast reduction with a lift.  Very common procedure that I do at least 3 -4 a week.  You should do great!  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Breast reduction

You are definitely a great candidate for breast reduction and would likely have a dramatic improvement in your appearance and physical well-being.  Your insurance might cover the procedure, but you will have to look into that with the help of your primary care doctor or a Canadian plastic surgeon.  Even if insurance does not cover the procedure, I would recommend having it anyway as it is hard to put a value on comfort.  Most patients that have this surgery say it was one of the best decisions they ever made!  Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a Breast reduction?

Thank you for your photo. It is a pleasure to answer your question. In my experience you are a great candidate for Breast Reduction. This surgical procedure removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and to alleviate the discomfort associated with overly large breasts that you are expresing. I recommend you visit a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Carlos Recio, MD
Cali Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in Canada

You meet several criteria for reduction here in the U.S., but I can't vouch/comment on the OHIP/Canadian process.  Here in the US, we inventory your symptoms and submit to insurance, usually along with supporting documentation from your PCP and other providers, in hopes of getting the reduction approved.  Unfortunately, as insurance carriers have stopped paying for lots of things, no matter how many symptoms you may have, they call it "cosmetic" and don't pay.  When that happens, we offer our patients an out-of-pocket quote.  That's the best we can do here in the US.  Good luck.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. 

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. When a breast reduction is performed, a breast “lift” occurs as part of the procedure. Patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise. 

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.  This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.  I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast Reduction Surgery Coverage in Ontario, Canada

With your breast size and back problems, you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.   I went to the OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) website and did a search for breast reduction, and the following is what I found:

c. Reduction Mammoplasty (other than post-mastectomy breast reconstruction)

1. Reduction mammoplasty when performed for reasons other than post-mastectomy breast reconstruction of the contralateral breast is only insured for the following conditions and when prior authorization of payment is obtained from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care:

1. significant associated symptomatology; or

2. gross disproportion. 

You will need to see a plastic surgeon and obtain prior authorization in order to qualify.   I encourage you to do this since breast reduction surgery is a life changing procedure that improves your symptoms, breast appearance and overall well being.  I have performed over 1,000 breast reduction surgeries in over 23 years of my plastic surgery practice, and have witnessed these transformations in my patients.

Best Wishes!