Tear in labia 9 days after labiaplasty. What do I do? (Photos)

I had a labiaplasty 9 days ago. Today I noticed a gap/tear. It's not painful but will it heal? Or will I always have a gap? Sorry for the soap in photos.

Gap

This early postop, it's hard to say what your ultimate outcome will be. Make sure you do wound care (clean the area twice a day), and wait 3-6 months. Then you'll know.

Grapevine OB/GYN

"Grooves" in labiaplasty incision from large-caliber, tight, "delayed-absorbable" sutures

Unfortunately your surgeon used fairly large delayed absorbable sutures, which have caused "grooves." The more you tug on it to take photos, the larger the gaps will be! What to do? 1) go to your surgeon to have those big sutures released. 2) keep hands off. 3)  Wait until 6 weeks post-op; it won't be until then that you will have an idea of final results. If suboptimal (major "grooves," etc,) there are methods that skilled plastic surgeons or aesthetic gynecologists have to "smooth things out," but to be honest I think the groove will not be significantly noticable.

Michael P Goodman, Md

Davis, CA, USA

What you do is stop pulling on your damned stitches just to take selfies

Stop pulling on the stitches. You're healing "OK" in the sense that nothing is really separated. What you have is tight through and through stitches that are cutting into the skin due to swelling. There is nothing that can be done. Let the area heal. If the stitches leave bumps and train tracks, these can be revised in 6 months. If you keep pulling, you will separate the scars and have a new problem to contend with.

Tear in labia 9 days postop

Nothing you can do now while you're in your 2 week post op period. You'll need to wait till you're fully healed before determining if what you see today is even still an issue for you. As your swelling goes down things will look better.

Please follow up with your surgeon soon since a suture or two may be removed to provide you comfort. SOme sutures seem to be strangulating your labial edges...this will leave you with bumpy labia in the end if not addressed now.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Tear in labia 9 days after labiaplasty. What do I do?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I do not see a sizeable gap or tear in your repair and I would allow your results several more weeks time to mature to see your long-term results.  Address your concerns with your surgeon, and try and avoid undue tension on your tissues until then.  Best wishes.

See your surgeon

I cannot see the severity of your problem from your images. See your surgeon and have the issue followed through healing. Some of these (but not all) benefit by revision later. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia mD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tear after surgery

You should have this evaluated by your surgeon. If it is a new tear, it may heal on it's own, but if it has healed on both sides of the tear you may have to have a minor revision of the area.

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tear after labiaplasty

Most small tears heal without consequence but

1. do not pull on it to get a better look or photo

2. go back to your surgeon ASAP for in person advice.

Best wishes

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon