Is there a non-surgical correction for contracture? (photos)

I am a 46 yo mother of 2 whom I breastfed each for 1 year. I had an augmentation with silicone implants placed over the muscle about 15 years ago to correct loss of tissue and ptosis. One of them is a completely different shape and is higher and firmer than the other now. It is very obvious to me, even in my clothing. Is there a non-surgical fix for this? I believe my implants were 360cc. I am 5'0" and have always felt these were too large for me. I would like smaller implants if possible.

Is there a non-surgical correction for contracture?

Severe capsular contracture, which is what you are describing (Baker 4, on the 1-4 scale), generally requires surgery to correct, and complete (or near-complete) removal of the capsular scar is necessary. Since you want smaller implants anyway, surgery will be necessary to not only deal with the capsular contracture (CC), but to place the desired size implants.

BTW, be careful with your request for a smaller size, since even implants slightly LARGER than your present ones will look significantly smaller once the capsular contracture scar tissues are removed. Plus, there is the weight and mass of the capsule removed, which should be about 30-45 grams, equivalent to 30-45cc of implant volume. In other words, if your implants are relatively new and undamaged, using the exact same implants WILL result in a visibly smaller look after successful CC surgery.

But let's assume you don't want surgery, and want to know if there is any nonsurgical treatment for CC, which is the question that you and many other women will want answered. If you have mild or early CC, then you may be a candidate for Accolate or Singulair therapy. These medications are known as leukotriene inhibitors, and are used predominantly for reducing leukotriene-mediated inflammation in asthma patients. Their use, along with oral Vitamin E, in capsular contracture patients has seen successful softening of the CC in up to half of patients. This means that half do NOT respond, but there are few side effects with these medications (most commonly liver--if you have liver disease, you may not be a candidate for this therapy) and if you have early or mild CC, it might be worth "a try."

I do not use leukotriene inhibitors in every breast augmentation patient, but I do use Singulair and Vitamin E in every CC patient or in re-operations where there is a higher risk of CC (such as bleeding or previous CC). I have seen successful responses to this therapy, and believe it has beneficial effect on a subset of patients. But whether or not it will be helpful for you is questionable, especially since your CC seems more severe, and you (probably--read my 2nd paragraph above) want different implants anyway. Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical correction for contracture?

Thank you for your question. There is no effective non surgical treatment for capsular contracture to my knowledge. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

There is no non surgical treatment for breast contracture

Breast contracture always needs surgery to fix it.  It is possible to downsize your implants at time of capsular release.

Vasdev Rai, MD