When can I side-sleep post breast augmentation?

Sleeping Post Op

I'll allow my patients to sleep on their sides post op but generally, this isn't comfortable for the patient until a week or so after surgery. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about what they advise for you.

All the best

Breast augmentation post op

Thank you for your question.  As every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative care instructions, it is always best to speak with your operating surgeon first.  That being said, we advise our patients to wait a minimum of three weeks before sleeping on their side.

With kind regards,

Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast augmentation

I would recommend following the post-operative instructions of your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has slightly different protocols. I usually recommend that my patients sleep on their backs for the first week. If after a week, everything is healing nicely and the patient is comfortable to do so, they can then sleep on their sides or stomachs but every patient heals differently so it is really a case by case decision. Best of luck. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after augmentation

I usually allow patients to sleep in any position they feel comfortable within a few days to a week after surgery.  Best to ask your surgeon his preference.

Thank you for your question. I usually allow them after two weeks. I recommend you to talk to your PS for clarification.

Side sleep

Always best to check with your surgeon for his or her recommendation. I usually allow my pts to sleep on their side after a week. If it hurts don't do it.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Side sleeping post BA

I usually recommend a patient sleep propped up for about three weeks, or until they are comfortable sleeping on their side.  If you are comfortable at a week, then it is fine to sleep on your side.  On average it takes most patient about three weeks before they feel comfortable on their side.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sleep positions after breast augmentation

After breast augmentation, I allow my patients to sleep in any position that is comfortable for them. I advise them that there is no problem with side sleeping. My belly sleepers are comfortable resuming the belly position by the third week. Hope this is reassuring. You should also ask your surgeon what his/her preference might be, if any. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after a Breast Augmentation

It takes about 6 full weeks after a breast augmentation for your incision to completely heal any anything prior to that, you risk the incision opening up and getting an infection. I always tell my patients to sleep on their back for the full 6 weeks. Ask your plastic surgeon for instructions regarding this to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Sleeping Position after Breast Augmentation

While best to consult with your surgeon, I usually place my breast augmentation patients in a surgical bra right after surgery and then ask them to sleep on their back, with chest and head elevated with several pillows. By the end of first week, they can sleep on their sides, as long as they continue wearing the surgical bra. After 4 weeks, they can stop wearing the bra, and sleep in any position they please. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD