Is a sharp, throbbing pain normal for only one area after labiaplasty? (Photos)

I had my labiaplasty 4 days ago. I know that swelling and pain are expected during this time, however, i have no pain except for one particular area. At the 'top' of my suture line is a point that throbs at the touch. I don't feel any pain when I lay down, but if it brushes against my underwear or when I touch it to put ointment on, it THROBS. Is this just because of swelling? I had a post op visit the three days ago and my surgeon thought everything looked fine.

Pains common after labiaplasty

and in the absence of massive swelling on one side, are treated symptomatically.  The pains should subside as you continue to heal and if it doesn't, you should let your surgeon know.  If interrupted sutures were used, release of the top suture could be done but if a running suture was done (as most people do it), then you cannot cut that suture prematurely.  But as for appearances, you look great at 4 days out.

Pain after labiaplasty

I would agree with your surgeon that based on your photos you are healing wonderfully. Having point tenderness as you described is very normal and will resolve over the next couple of days as the swelling decreases. You may discuss with your surgeon the possibility of removing the suture at the tender area, but with my experience it is best to let the swelling resolve naturally. 

Cheers!

Pain in one area after labiaplasty

Everything appears normal.  One area of pain could be the knot of a suture line or it could just be related to normal swelling/healing. keep up with your postop intstructions and hang in there. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Point tenderness 4 days after labiaplasty

It appears that you have swelling around a stitch on the right side near the clitoris. This should improve when the swelling goes down and the stitch dissolves. It's likely creating more tension there than elsewhere. Take your pain killers and rest.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Is a sharp throbbing pain normal in only one area after labiaplasty?

Dear Dizzlek,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photo.  I agree with Dr. Aguirre that the ball is a small piece of labial skin being strangled by the suture and that it will be relieved when the suture is cut.  Call your surgeon Monday and have him/her cut the stitch.  In the meantime, a cool pack to the area and ibuprofen will help.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Point tenderness post labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  Although pain and swelling is considered within the realm of normal at this point.  Point tenderness is often due to searing of a sutured knot.

I would inform your surgeon about the discomfort and perhaps an evaluation is in order for possible release of the suture knot.

Best of luck.

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN

Sharp and throbing pain following labiaplasty

Thanks for the photo which clearly shows that a running stitch was used along your right labia minora. The little "ball" at the top is swollen labia from the suture knot which is strangulating the tissue causing your symptoms. Return to your surgeon and see if he/she will remove the knot to alleviate the pain.

In my practice we use a different technique, but we remove the sutures within the first week to 1) alleviate the discomfort that is due to swelling around each suture, and 2) to avoid "suture tracks" or abnormal healing. This results in a painless recovery thereafter and better aesthetic result.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Is a sharp throbbing pain normal for only one area after labiaplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your procedure.  In the first few days after a labiaplasty the swelling of the tissues can further be sensitized by the sutures holding your skin edges together.  Though point tenderness is less common it should resolve as your swelling does.  Hang in there and allow your results more time to mature.  Best wishes. 

Post op labiaplasty

There is no way of knowing what is causing the throbbing but most likely it is due to swelling.  Please continue to take you pain medications as dictated by your surgeon and I would recommend to my patients an anti-inflammatory like Motrin 800mg three times per day....but this would need to be OK'd by your surgeon. Please call him/her and ask if it is OK to reduce the swelling and associated pain.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist