I am concerned about returning necrosis from a tummy tuck done a month ago? (Photos)

I had a tummy tuck a month ago. 2 1/2 weeks into recovery I had a second surgery for debridement and closure. Within a week that closure reopened. I went in to see PS she did repeated debridement in office. 4 days later i changes the dressing and am concerned that necrosis has returned and continues to be a problem. The edges of the wound are starting to be come dark even black in spots. Is this normal healing or something that I need to have looked at? There is also tunneling.

I am concerned about returning necrosis from a tummy tuck done a month ago?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This needs to be seen and you need to receive instructions on wound care.

Based on your photos, you should return to see your surgeon. 

It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Necrosis after tummy tuck

Sorry to see you are having difficulty after surgery. Based on your photos, you should return to see your surgeon.  You will be able to be healed, but you should see your surgeon regularly for help. 

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced;   these types of open wounds do occur occasionally and (with good care) tend to heal over the course of several weeks/month. Sometimes, as you know, the area may look worse before it looks better.  

These wounds go on to heal through a process of contraction where the tissues heal from the sides towards the center of the wound; occasionally, removal of unhealthy tissue (debridement) and/or removal of exposed sutures, may expedite the healing process. 

Wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing).  Sometimes, for larger wounds, the use of a " vacuum assisted device" (VAC) may be very helpful.  

Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.

This is likely to heal but will take a few weeks to month. Follow up with your surgeon for proper wound care. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Skin Necrosis After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to here that you are having problems after your procedure.  As you may or may not know, all surgical procedures have risk.  It appears that you have an area of wound dehiscence at the junction of your vertical and horizontal incision.  It is not uncommon to have breakdown at this area since it is mostly the area of highest tension and poorest blood supply.  I would encourage you to make an appointment with your plastic surgeon and follow up with her on a regular basis until your wound is healed.  Open wounds with a significant amount of dead tissue or infected wounds oftentimes require debridement until the wound bed appears healthy (granulation tissue), which is usually pink.  At a later date after the wound is scarred in, you may require a revision to improve the scar

Good Day,

Nicholas Jones, MD

Nicholas Jones, MD