Around how much downtime is required for an above the muscle silicone breast implant with an incision below the breast?

Just a general estimate. Thank you!

Hello and thank you for your question. The downtime required for a breast augmentation is about one week. After one week, you should be able to return to work and usual daily activities with limitations. These limitations include exercise and work out regimens and lifting and moving objects or children over 10 lbs. I recommend and urge you to research breast augmentation with implants placed BEHIND the muscle. Be sure to scheudle a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon!

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Time off work after a sub glandular breast augmentation

The downtime for breast augmentation has decreased significantly over the years due to improvements in both surgical technique as well as anesthesia.  As such, most patients return to work very quickly following their surgery.  

In my practice, I prefer placing implants below the muscle.  In this case, patients generally return to work within 48 hours following their surgery unless they have a profession requiring them to be either very physical (e.g.:  police officer, firefighter) or perform their job in a manner that incorporates shoulder elevation (hairstylist, dental assistant, masseuse).  

For patients who opt for placement of implants above the muscle, the downtime is even less because there are no issues with pectoralis spasm.  In this case, you could literally return to work in about 24 hours.  

I hope that helps!

Time off After A Breast Augmentation

I recommend that my BA patients take at least one week off of work to rest and recover. You will be mobile and able to perform light tasks during this time, but your Plastic Surgeon will likely advise you to limit heavy lifting for roughly 6 weeks. For those who have more physically demanding jobs involving frequent use of upper body strength or repetitive arm movements, I recommend two weeks off.

All the best

Going above the muscle significantly decreases your discomfort and, therefore, your requirement for pain medication. You should be able to return to work in two to three days. The incision will be healed in a couple of weeks, but the scar will fade over the course of months. Good luck!

Recovery after augmentation

Subglandular implant surgery is often less painful than a submuscular one.  Patients can go back to light duty(desk work) after a few days.

Down time after breast augmentation

Most women are able to return to work in 3-5 days after breast augmentation, but it depends on what type of work.  It the job is mainly sedentary, like computer work, then return to work is quicker.  However, if the job entails heavy lifting or repetitive motion with the arms then work may need to be delayed for 2 weeks.  I prefer my patients to not lift anything over 15 pounds the first week after surgery and then 30 pounds for the second week.  Light aerobics and weight lifting are allowed, but no contact sports for 6 weeks.

Of course everyone has different post operative courses and pain tolerance, so these are just guidelines.  If a complication would occur then the timetable for recovery would be pushed back.

The recovery time for above or below the muscle is basically the same.  The only difference is, generally speaking, less discomfort with the implant above the muscle because the muscle is not being cut,  stretched and pulled.  The reason to choose the implant above or below the muscle should be based on the anatomy and footprint of the breast on the chest wall, not on the recovery period.  In the long run, we want the best possible cosmetic result from this procedure, and if there is a couple more or less days of discomfort from the placement of the implant, so be it, if the result is better.  Experienced plastic surgeon's will be able to inform you which placement position is best for YOU!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Above muscle breast augmentation recovery

In general I tell my patients its back to work in 2-3 days for my below muscle augmentation which is generally considered more maybe 1-2 days before you can return to work if on top of the muscle.....everyone is different

David Liland, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Recovery

Thank you for your question. Most patients who undergo subglandular breast augmentation are able to return to work within one week, and are cleared to exercise by 6 weeks. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck with your recovery.

Down time after breast augmentation

Great Question!
Downtime for an above the muscle breast implant surgery really depends on the patient and the type of work that a patient does. If you work in an environment where you don't have to do heavy lifting then usually you'll need about five days off . Patients whose jobs are more intense or require a lot more moment and heavy lifting then you really want to discuss these details with your surgeon because you may require more then a week off from work and every plastic surgeon has slightly different post operative suggestions.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How Much Downtime After Breast Augmentation? #breastaugmentation

• Most of our patients undergoing breast augmentation return to work between 3-7 days after. 
  • This is largely dependent upon how physical the breast augmentation patient's job is. 
  • Definitely discuss with your plastic surgeon at your consultation.