If you already have a decent amount of breast tissue & get small silicone implants, will it look/feel natural?

I am a 34 C and I want to increase size but have it look & feel like natural breasts. Is this possible?

Yes, a "natural" feel after breast augmentation is possible but much to consider…

• Good questions. You will find that the answers to these questions are best obtained during the consultation process.
  • Generally speaking, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.
  • I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • Sometimes, despite best efforts, patients may develop thickening of the breast implant capsule (encapsulation) leading to a firmer than desired breast feel.

• I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Natural feel

The implants are placed behind your existing breasts, and the gel implants feel fairly natural compared to breast tissue. Most women who have some breast tissue and choose gel implants find their breasts do feel quite natural and soft. Saline implants may feel firmer and carry the potential of rippling.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Feel of breast implants

Thank you for your questions. Yes, if there is a large amount of breast tissue it will help cover the implant. Silicone implants do feel the most like native breast tissue as well. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can in person examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. You may also bring photos of your "ideal" image with you to your consult. In your consult should be a review and discussion about the need for a breast lift, the incision location, implant placement, implant size, type and shape, and recovery period. It is best to see and feel in person the different sizes, shapes and textures of the various implants during a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss you goals and have all of your questions and concerns answered. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants do look and feel natural

When it comes to choosing the type of implant for a breast enhancement procedure there are many choices:
  • Saline
  • Silicone
  • Anatomic silicone
  • Textured or smooth surface
  • High profile
  • Ultra high profile
The choice of which implant to use, it's placement position, incision choice and size would all be determined during your detailed consultation with your plastic surgeon.  In my opinion, the most natural looking and feeling implant is the smooth surface silicone (not anatomic).  Always make sure you visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs these types of procedures frequently.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Natural look and feel with implants and existing tissue?

Hi and thank you for your question. Without examining you or seeing photos, the general answer is yes, absolutely. With a decent amount of breast tissue, a gel implant placed submuscularly could provide a very natural look and feel. 

Dustin L. Reid, MD