What should be my best approach to attain the best TT results? (photos)

41 yr old mom of 3 I have had a hysterectomy and tubal done and also had smart lipo done 6 years ago. I stay active with the gym however skin is to stretched out to reach desired results. I currently live in FL however to make to surgery more affordable within my means it will require I travel and Omaha is looking like a great safe place of choice to stay in the states. What would be min stay requirements? Any additional details would be very helpful.

How long do I need to stay in town after a tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question.

It looks like you are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. This involves an incision from hip bone to hip bone just above your pubis. All of the skin from your belly button down to pubic bone is removed, and the abdominal muscles are tightened from the breast bone down. You will lose a bit of your tattoo and it will be relocated lower (closer to your hip).

I have many, many patients who travel for surgery in my office. Because I do a no-drain tummy tuck, and baring any complications, I typically advise my patients that they are cleared to travel back home 4-5 days post op, however, I also advise that they will certainly not feel great and may be more comfortable waiting 7 or so days. The travel guidelines can vary from surgeon to surgeon, and I would defer to the instructions that your surgeon gives you.

Best of luck

Tummy Tuck Plans

It appears that you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck but there is no substitute for a personal examination by your surgeon.  I am sure there are excellent surgeons in Omaha but you should be very clear about the possible problems that may arise when having surgery far from home.  In the event you have postoperative problems you may need to travel back to Omaha and this could erase any cost benefits you thought you had achieved.  You need to speak with your surgeon in Omaha to learn how long you will be staying following your surgery.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for a TT

From your pictures you look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  While I can appreciate financial constraints, I can't stress enough staying close to home or to be around friends and/or family that can help you in your recovery process and you are close by to your surgeon should any complications arise.  That being said, if you are dead set on traveling, I would ask your surgeon how long they would like you to stay in the area.  I am sure they will want to manage your drains as well as monitor your healing for at least two weeks.  Good luck with your surgery!

Justin B. Maxhimer, MD
Boulder General Surgeon

Traveling for a TT

Thanks for your question and picture.  You look like a great candidate for tummy tuck.  If you are sure you want to travel for surgery I would ask your surgeon specifically how long they want you to stay in town. Thinking it would be a minimum of 1 to 2 weeks.  Do consider the cost of flight and hotel for this timeframe and if the savings are truly worth the travel.  Also make sure that you have found a board certified plastic surgeon to work with. 

Cheers and best wishes,
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for tummy tuck

Although I appreciate financial constraints when it comes to moving forward with elective plastic surgery, I would caution against traveling far from home for a major procedure.  Even in the most competent and experienced hands, there can be stumbling blocks in the recovery process beyond the first week.  Being close to your surgeon of choice will ensure that you will have immediate attention to any issues that may arise.  If you are still compelled to travel, I would discuss with your chosen surgeon his/her preferences in terms of how long they want you to be in town.  I would recommend at least one full week after your surgery and possibly up to two weeks.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

It looks like you would be a great candidate for abdominoplasty.  It looks like the smart lipo did not go well. Typically I would expect that you would need to stay close to the surgeon for about a week,  But only that surgeon will be able to decide that.  I would suggest that you look around FL.  I think it would be better for you if you were in driving distance of your surgeon.  There a lot of board certified PS in FL.  

Good Luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

What should be my best approach to attain the best TT results?

Thank youfo yor question. Every surgeon is going to ask something a little bit different of you depending on the surgery performed. It is nice to have a patient in town for 2 weeks. If you have time restraints you can speak with your surgeon and perhaps leave earlier. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD