Why are my 2.5yo implants suddenly uneven? - 330cc overs. Silicone. (photo)

About a week ago I noticed my left breast looked a bit droopy. Now it is very obvious. A few months ago I felt a lump (more like a bubble) in my left breast but my PS said it was fine. He thought I had a rib out or was just hormone related (doesn't make much sense to me). He couldn't feel it even though my husband can. They have always been the same size and shape until this last week. 33yo. No kids. Not prego. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photo.  There can be a number of reasons why the breasts can change shape this far out from surgery.  The most common being progression of scar tissue around an implant.  This is much more common when implants are placed over the muscle compared to under the muscle.  You should definitely have any new changes or "bubble/lumps" evaluated by either your surgeon or primary care physician.  The "bubble" can be just the edge of the implant which can be easier to feel at times if the scar tissue gets tight around an implant.  Hope this helps.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts

I would suggest that you have a mammogram and/or ultrasound performed to look further into the potential cause.  You can speak with your surgeon, your gynecologist or family doctor.  It is best to rule out any potential issues when a lump is felt.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast augmentation - implants just changed

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I am sorry this has happened -
  • One can't diagnose this without an examination and further tests.
  • I suggest you call your plastic surgeon and ask him to order an ultrasound of your breasts.
  • Have him re-examine you after the ultrasound.
  • If he still can't figure out what is going on, ask him to do a mammogram.
  • If he still is at a loss, please get a second opinion.
  • Sudden changes around an implant can be anything from implant deterioration (usually this takes decades) to a late infection or fluid collection.
  • If you have a breast mass, it must be biopsied. If you have fluiid, diagnostic surgery is a must.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Check with your surgeon

If you notice a lump on your breast you should ask your PCP for an appointment with a specialist. Check with your plastic surgeon first to make sure you have healed properly. 

Why are my 2.5yo implants suddenly uneven? - 330cc overs. Silicone

Thank you for our question. If there is any lump that need to be evaluated either Mammogram or ultrasound. If one implant drops or changes suddenly need to be evaluated, may be rupture or capsular contracture. I would recommend to see your PS and ask for reevaluation.

Left breast looks different

If there are any concerns about lumps etc, I would suggest obtaining a mammogram. I would first discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon again.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Seems to be Getting Large

There may be a few reasons to explain the one breast getting larger, including hormone and aging changes that are not symmetric. While it is unlikely that a mass/lump would create such a significant change over a short period of time, another possibility is the accumulation of fluid around an implant: seroma or serous effusion, which can occur even in the absence of trauma.This can be evaluated with an ultrasound of the breast that can find a mass or a fluid accumulation.Check again with your plastic surgeon and if he/she is resistive to ordering the ultrasound of your breast, ask your primary care doctor to order it for you. If a mass or fluid is present, it must be evaluated properly to rule out a cancer or other treatable problem.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts?

There are a few reasons why one breast may be sitting lower now than the other.  The most common reason is that one side actually has a little scar tissue around it, keeping it in place more than the other side.  It can be subtle enough not to really notice a difference until it becomes more obvious that the non- scar tissue side is settling more.  The other possibility is that the lower side is too weak on the bottom of the breast, allowing it to stretch out more over time.  Either way, I would address this with your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.  I hope this helps.

Implant change

If you have noticed changes in your implants and size, then you should consider seeing your surgeon. Best of luck.

Breast Changes

Breast lumps and changes in tissue can be assessed by your primary care physician. An ultrasound or mammogram could be first steps to investigating what you have going on.
All the best