5th day of BA. 304cc. Realize left side is bigger (Photo)

I'm 5" , 90lbs. I got the 304cc on last tuesday. I feel much better now but when i have the sugical bra on, I can't take a deep breath. Should I take it off permenantally? And I feel like my left side is bigger than my right side and its also more hurt. Last night i took the bra off and sleep flat on my back. I felt so comfy. Should i keep sleeping flat on my back?

Significant breast asymmetry after breast augmentation should be referred to your surgeon.

From the limited information in the photograph I don't see anything to be worried about. Modest asymmetry is to be expected. If the breasts are significantly asymmetric a hematoma is a possible problem and should be reported to your surgeon.

Breast augmentation

It is best to contact your surgeon to ask if they are comfortable with you not wearing the bra. All plastic surgeons have different post operative instructions and I am sure your surgeon would like you to follow theirs. As to initial asymmetry - there is always some asymmetric swelling and pain is experienced differently between the 2 sides. This should improve with time, but again, if concerned, discuss directly with your plastic surgeon.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Early post op. Some advices:

Thanks for the question.

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Postop size difference

Hello, if you've noticed a difference in swelling or other new symptoms it is best to touch bases with your surgeon to determine whether you require an assessment earlier than your planned postop appointment.

Asymmetry after surgery

It is very common for patients to experience some asymmetry after surgery. You currently see to have a tighter pocket on the left causing that implant to take more of an oval shape in the beginning until the side relaxes and allows them implant to round out. When this happens the implant in the tighter pocket will appear higher and longer and sometime appear larger to the patient but this should go away as you begin to massage your breast. But also please contact your surgeon so he can evaluate you. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants often swell asymmetrically. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

5th day of BA. 304cc. Realize left side is bigger

Thank you for your question. It is most likely swelling or hematoma. Your surgeon is the best source to comment on this as he/she knows better about your surgery. Please talk to your PS about your garment.

Different size one week out Breast Implants

There is a great deal of swelling and variability in the  first few weeks, let alone months as the tissues stretch and settle to accommodate the implants. To be safe, just check in with your PS to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

5th day of BA. 304cc. Realize left side is bigger.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your breast augmentation.  Each surgeon will have their own recommendations for surgical garment use and I would encourage you to discuss the possibility of not using one, or perhaps a larger size, with them.  Additionally there is no reason that you can not sleep on your back at night.  As far as your size discrepancy this is most likely the result of swelling from surgery and should improve steadily as your results mature, but have your surgeon examine you to ensure that you haven't developed a discrete fluid collection.  Hope this helps.

Postop from breast augmentation

Although this forum is a great source of information for patients, it should not take the place of your chosen surgeon when it comes to the specifics of your postoperative care/instructions.  I would recommend reaching out to your provider who knows you and your surgery best for his/her recommendations!  Keep in mind that you are obviously still VERY early in the recovery process.  During that time one breast might swell more than the other and might heal at a different rate than the other.  I tell patients to wait at least 3 months before assessing size, contour, and symmetry.  Good luck!