What are my options to remove old saline implants due to repeated capsular contracture? Black mold causing health issues (Photo)

In 1999 I had a breast augmentation from a saggy C to DD - NOT what I had envisioned! Within less than a year my right breast became hard and extremely painful, resulting in capsular contracture surgery and in less than a year it repeated the same response! In 2003 was diagnosed w/ Psoriatic Arthritis, allergies, migraines, memory loss, vertigo, fatigue, anxiety and depression. What are my options for removal without replacement implants? I just want them out of me!! Please help me...

Breast implants hard and painful

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• I am so sorry you have been through such an ordeal with your implants.
  • They should be removed 'en bloc' with the capsule - the implant and capsule come out in one piece.
  • You should have, if affordable, a small breast lift at the same time to reshape your breasts and if you wish, some fat transfers to try to give your new breasts a little fullness.
  • Your problem may not be black mold - that is very very rarely seen.
  • But the capsule and the fluid in the implant should be examined and cultured.
  • You are more likely to have a biofilm around the implants causing some of your problems.
  • That said, extensive studies show no connection between implants and autoimmune disease - so if you truly have psoriatic arthritis, removing the implants should not, given what we know, improve that condition.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast implant removal

Breast implants can certainly be removed without replacing them.  If you are experiencing contractures, you should have the capsules removed as well.  From there you have options based on your goals.  You can have a lift, do nothing at all, or even consider fat grafting to the area.  I encourage you to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss these options.

Camille Cash, MD

What are my options to remove old saline implants due to repeated capsular contracture? Black mold causing health issues

Thank you for your picture and questions. I have to things to say regarding your issues. First, to treat the capsular contracture, you will need removal of the old implant and the surrounding capsule. This will likely leave you with a deflated breast and you may need additional procedures to reshape the breast and remove excess skin. Second, although I am sorry to hear of your additional medical issues, I would caution you about assuming these are related to the implants at all or related to "black mold" which is not a verified scientific phenomenon, despite the internet reports of its existence. So do not assume that removing the implants is going to have any impact on your overall health status.

I am sorry to hear about the complications and health concerns you have experienced. In my practice, I would likely offer you en bloc removal of the breast implants. This involves removing the breast implants and the surrounding thickened capsule "in one piece".  Given your concerns, implants and tissues will be sent to microbiology and pathology.

Breast lifting will likely be necessary, either at the same time or at a second stage.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery. Working together you will come up with a good plan to achieve your goals. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with and for better health.

Removal

Saline implants are very easy to remove.  Your surgeon will want to remove the capsule as well as the implant to send to pathology.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD