What is causing my hair to grow patchy in two different colours? (Photo)

I am male and was born with black hair which changed to copper red when I was about 2 weeks old. I started dying it black when I was 19. When I noticed my hair thinning I stopped dying it but I noticed the hair on top and around the crown grew back black whilst the back remains copper. It has now been 7 years since I have dyed it. Recently I have seen rapid loss of the black hair but not the red. The hair loss looks like male pattern baldness but why does it follow the line of colour difference?

Patchy areas of color and hair loss

The changes in color are most likely just due to genetics and really not related to your hair loss.  I would assume coincidence in terms of where you are losing hair and the color of the area involved.  If you are concerned about your hair loss, you should seek medical care by an experienced physician as soon as possible to assure the best outcome. 

As a side note, I have treated many patients at your level of hair loss with grey hair with PRP and their hair came back in the original natural color!  

Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Color changes in hair

Most color change in hair are caused by genetics but I wonder if you caused a chemical burn in the hair that has turned white when you dyed it. That happens

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Getting to the Bottom of It--Seeking Hair Loss Treatment: PRP and Progesterone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate the cause of your hair loss and consider the best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer