After Losing Weight I'm Looking Older Than I Am. What's The Best Method To Tighten African American Skin? (photo)

I have lost a significant amount of weight and apparently my face received the raw end of the deal. I have recently had more than one person mistake my age to be several years older than I really am. I just want to know what would be the best procedure to tighten skin on African American skin. I am already considering a nose job (hate my nose). Right now, I pretty much dislike everything about my face. Am I over analyzing?

Doctor Answers 2

Facial rejuvenation

I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. Your posted photo only shows some early signs of aging specifically frown lines between the eyebrows, excess upper eyelid skin and prominent nasolabial folds in the upper half of the nasolabial lines. These may be best addressed by botox, upper blepharoplasty and injectable dermal filler. There are no jowls, marionette lines, neck muscle bands etc. that would justify a facelift if present. A variety of modalities are available for the nose such as alar base narrowing to decrease the nostril flare, grafting the tip to make the dome less round and bridge augmentation with infracture to lengthen the nose, rotate the tip slightly downward and make the bridge less flat. You would have to pick which aspects of the nose you want changed.

The most important thing is for you to do is choose your surgeon carefully and have a realistic idea of what different procedures will do for you before undergoing them.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Weight loss and face

Without more specifics it is difficult to say what would be best for you. If your face has deflated and the skin is loose, you may want a facelift and/or fillers to augment areas of depression.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.