I'm wondering why I have cankles. (Photo)

Im 18, 5'3", I weigh 125 pounds. I workout about 4 times a week. I would say I'm in pretty good shape. My calves/ankles are my only problem area. I have done the water retention test and there is no indention left behind from my fingers.

Calf Reduction

Stubborn fat in the calves and ankles or “cankles” can be difficult to improve with just diet and exercise and patients who experiences this can benefit from liposuction. Calf and ankle liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the calves and ankles while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits like the ankles. Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area. No, reshaping your body isn’t as easy as going to the beauty parlor. Surgery is never 100% risk free and the healing process requires patience and determination.

Get Rid of Cankles with Liposuction under local tumescent Easily.

Liposuction under local tumescent is such an easy procedure to undergo and can really improve calves and ankles with the smaller micro cannulas. Recovery is quick and results are dramatic. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

I'm wondering why I have cankles

Some patients just have this issue.  Liposuction can improve the contours.

Beverly Hills, CA

Management of large caliber ankles

From the photograph it looks as though you may be a candidate for liposuction which must be done carefully and generates a more complicated convalescence than liposuction and other areas. Physical examination would be necessary to establish this. On the other hand it soleus muscle is of large caliber this would be unavailable to liposuction.

Leg Liposuction

Calf and ankle liposuction is one of the most rewarding procedures for my patients. The most important thing is that you find someone experienced in treating this area, as i have seen many irregularities from poor technique. It is not the tool but the surgeon you chose that is going to give you the best results. Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction for heavy ankles?

Thank you for your question about liposuction and your heavy ankles.

• Your calves appear to be heavy, probably from excess fat.
  • Liposuction can be done to give them a better shape, assuming an exam confirms my assessment.
  • Calf liposuction does have a long recovery and needs to be carefully done to avoid loose skin.
  • Another alternative - but a very difficult one - is to take up ballet since the moderate to advanced ballet exercises definitely slim the ankles but it takes several years to get that far.
  • Another option is to review your work outs - if there is a lot of calf impact, e.g. from running, and your heavy lower legs appears when you started exercise, a different exercise regiment may be needed.
  • Swimming for instance can get you fit, without leg impact.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

I'm wondering why I have cankles.

Thank you for your question. I cannot explain to you why you have fat stored in the lower calf area but can tell you that you are very likely to respond well to liposuction. If you feel that you're at a healthy and maintainable weight you are probably a good candidate and have a good chance of being delighted by the improvement. If you meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon he/she should be able to assess how much improvement you can expect. Please review the video and the gallery of photographs on my website for some good examples. Good luck and enjoy your results if you do decide to go ahead now or in the future.

Jon A Perlman, MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Assoc. Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery UCLA Medical Center
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Fat around the ankles / calves

Excess fat or lack of definition around the calves or ankles occurs commonly in women.  Unfortunately, there is no diet or exercise that will improve this directly.   Sometimes, swelling or lymphedema can look like fat in this area.  Liposuction of the area can create a nice contour; however, liposuction of this area can stay swollen for a long time, much longer than other areas of the body.  Make sure to see a physician who has treated the lower leg many times, as it can be a tricky area to get right for inexperienced surgeons.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon