Successful implant removal after 2 1/2 years, 3 surgeries? (Photo)

I began as a 36AA. On 12/17/13, at 26 and no kids,I had 400cc HP submuscular implants. 4 weeks later it was infected, and 7 weeks later removed. The initial appearance was very sad--but by about 12 weeks the skin had mostly returned to normal. On 6/12/14 I made the very poor decision to re-implant with 425cc HP implants. They are very low, fall to the side, no cleavage. I'm just plum unhappy with them and insecure. But surgeons I've consulted say I will have a dismal result if I remove! Help

Will the skin and breast tissue return to its original shape after removal.

There are several factors which determine the result after implant removal alone - but often the result can be similar to the original breast shape after an appropriate amount of tine had passed.  I recommend giving this a try to my patients who think they would be happy returning to their original breasts if the implants have not been in very long.

Implant complications

I'm very sorry that you have had all of these complications. I would recommend seeking the opinion of several board certified plastic surgeons near you.

From the pictures it appears that you need your capsule tightened on the outside and the position of the fold needs to be elevated. This should help fix what bothers you. If your skin or soft tissue is weak, you might need the addition of a mesh for support.

You can always remove the implants and see how things settle. You may find that you do not have as much rebound as you did after the first explant but some people do very well after an explant and their skin rebounds back to where it started. To predict this, an in person exam is helpful to feel your skin and the elasticity of it.

Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Just based on your photos and story, it appears that you may need a pocket revision with possible raising of your inframammary fold.  An in person consultation and exam would be required to properly outline a plan for correction.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Explant

It's impossible to determine your result without an in office consultation. Tight compression after removal will certainly help again. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS