No Liposuction with a mini tummy tuck?

I am 5'6'' 133-135 lbs. Not crazy thin but not chunky either- my doctor said he would not do lipo with my mini ttc. I am worried I will still have a belly afterwards. Is it normal to not lipo with a mini? I am having a breast lift at the same time. I do not have enough skin for a full tt. Very concerned the muscle repair and skin removal will not be enough.

Dr. Derby Sang

without photos it a little hard to respond. i can tell that not always you need a lipo with a mini or full tummy tuck, but sometimes for better results it would be a great combination. 

best of luck.

Liposuction routinely done with tummy tuck IF necessary

If the fat layer in the upper abdomen is disproportionately thick then liposuction could be done to thin it. In the lower abdomen, the mini tummy tuck will allow for direct removal of some fat without liposuction. This all depends on your individual anatomy and needs.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck options

Without seeing pictures of your abdomen it is hard to say what your options are but in general the amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall. This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. The only thing that will address skin laxity above the bully button is a full tummy tuck. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #minitummytuck #abdominoplasty

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Questions

Without photos, I cannot make any specific comments. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and asking all these questions. Not all women need liposuction with a minitummy tuck.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

No Liposuction with a mini tummy tuck?

It is important to do the right procedure for the individual patient's needs. Sometimes that means liposuction, sometimes not. We have no indication of what you look like and cannot make any comments regarding your situation without that information. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

No Liposuction with a mini tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  Without photos, it's hard to say if you need liposuction or not, let alone a mini tummy tuck versus a full tummy tuck.  If you're not comfortable with your surgeon's opinion, you may certainly consider getting a second opinion.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to give precise recommendations without photos or an in person consultation. Generally speaking, liposuction is performed to add contour, and give a defined waistline. The tummy tuck should provide you with a  flat tummy on its own. You might consider meeting with other board certified plastic surgeons for additional recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS