I am two weeks po from a Tummy tuck with MR. The middle of my incision opened up. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am worried about sever scaring. My surgeon so far is making sure it stays clean and on struck bed rest, but is there anything else we can do to make it close?

Thank you for the question and photo. It is unfortunate that have a wound separation with proper care it will heal. You can revise the scar 12-18 months later if necessary. It is best to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

I am two weeks po from a Tummy tuck with MR. The middle of my incision opened up. Any suggestions?

You have a minor wound that should heal with proper care. It may need to be cleaned up in the office by the doctor and then they will instruct you on wound care. It will take many weeks for it to heal. If the resulting scar is displeasing it can be revised but usually I will wait 6-12 months. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

MR?

Hi karilmac

You have what looks to be a "minor" wound complication at this point, and we would like to keep it that way.  Aside from bed rest, you mentioned no other treatments.

I encourage you to follow your doctor's instructions exactly.

I do things a bit differently, which is not to say that anyone is wrong here.

I would ask your doctor to have a close look to see if anything needs to be "debrided", that is, unhealthy tissue or sutures that need to be removed. Ask if the wound needs to be packed?

I think with close follow up and good wound care, you should heal without any major problems and with a scar that isn't bad.  Once the scar matures (~1 year), if it is a bad scar, a simple scar revision procedure can fix it like new.

My advice: work closely with your doctor and try not to worry too much about what may be in the future, because it can be fixed.

All the best.

Se

Tummy tuck

i would give you the same advice. be patient let it heal. can always do a scsr revision later.  get you healthy and healed first

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

It will need to heal by itself

At this stage you do not need to do anything other than keeping it clean. Most of the times such dehiscences heal on their own and do it pretty well. In case of a bad scar, scar revision can be done at a later stage. Follow your surgeons advice. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Wound dehiscence

It is difficult to say without examining you but you may have some wound dehiscence. Following the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon and maintaining close follow up is key. It is also important to maintain good nutrition and have a good amount of protein in your diet as your body is trying to heal and needs fuel. Best, MMT