Where grafts have fallen and skin has apparently smooth and healed? (Photo)

I had a hair transplant 8 weeks back. The area where grafted hair have fallen appears smooth (don't see any pits). Should I expect new hair to spourt out from smooth skin in the coming weeks?

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. You will not likely see new hairs for several months.

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  You will not likely see new hairs for several months.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

My Scalp is smooth after 8 weeks Post Op. Will the grafts grow through smooth skin?

The answer is yes. The roots are within the scalp and around the 3rd month you should should be able to see and/or feel buds begin to poke out. After 6 months it will be even more apparent and within 8 to 12 months your result should be complete. Keep us updated.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding

I always tell my patients that these hairs will sooner or later shed. They are never a problem for new hairs that start to grow. Usually, there is a lag time between the time the hairs shed (2-8 weeks) and the time the new hair grows (3-8 months). IF for any reason, there is an overlap between the two, pay no attention to it for when the new hair grows, the old hairs from the grafts that may persist beyond 8 weeks, will eventually shed

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

New hair

typically all the grafted area has shed, and the new hair will start appearing in 3-4 months, with majority of results by 10-12 months.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

8 weeks post transplant grafts have shed

hairyransplant,

It is entirely normal for 8 weeks to have the transplanted grafts undergoing shedding. However, growth should be around the corner. With augmented hair transplants(with PRP/Laser) the process can be expedited. What medical regimen are you on?

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Healing

The healing looks about right and its hard to know at this point if a transplant will produce results. They do not always work.  You should maintain close follow up.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist