Most grafted hairs have fallen but some remain (Photo)

I had my hair transplant about 8 weeks back. Though most of the transplanted hair have fallen some (100) remain. These are neither falling or growing and occasionally I have some discomfort around one of them. There is no pitting where the grafted hair had fallen. What should I expect? Will the remaining grafted hair fall? Will the new hair come out where there is now smooth skin?

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.  Most transplanted hairs will shed before new hairs start to grow. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Remaining grafts

It is normal for some of the transplanted hairs to not have fallen out by this point. If you are having discomfort in the transplanted area it is best to follow up with the surgeon who performed your procedure. Usually the transplanted hair shaft will fall out when the new hair from the transplant starts growing in, at the earliest 3-4 months. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

8 weeks after hair transplant most have fallen out

hairyransplant,

It is not abnormal for most follicles to have fallen out by 8 weeks. Wish that you would have at least attached a high resolution photo.On the other hand sometimes there is early growth at 8 weeks especially with an augmented procedure with cell therapy.Follow up is advised with your surgeon.

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair falling out after transplant

It is very normal for some of the transplanted grafts to have not fallen out at this point.  These particular grafts may be in a different cycle in the hair growth cycle.  If you are having pain at this point it is best to follow up with your surgeon for an examination of the scalp.  

Normal

This is usually very normal and one scenario that can happen. Remember to go in for follow ups if any concerns because not all transplants result in growth. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

8 weeks

At 8 weeks you still have grafts that have not shed. This happens to some of the grafts and if they are now growing, they will eventually shed when the new hair grows in

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon