6 weeks post op, I have fluid problem. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm almost 6 weeks post op and one side is perfect and the other side still has some swelling and sometimes it looks as though it has fluid in it. I can massage or put heat on it and it will go away for a day or so and then it returns. I wear compression shirts and wrap up with a compression wrap at night. Is this something normal and will it eventually go away?

Possible Seroma

Dear bigtimer33,

I always explain to patients whenever we do a bilateral procedure, one side is always going to hurt more, bruise more, swell more and/or take longer to normalize. Six weeks is very early after any procedure. You should have your surgeon check to make sure you do not have a seroma (fluid collection) that could easily be aspirate off in the office without any anesthetic required.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Swelling Concern 6 Weeks Post Op

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi bigtimer33,
Thanks for the post and the photo. There may be fluid build up (referred to as a seroma). You should see your surgeon for an evaluation. If it is fluid, draining it in the office can certainly help.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Seroma

Thank you for the photo.  You may have a seroma (fluid collection).  This may need to be drained in the office. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon.  

Tim Neavin, MD

Swelling 6 week post operative gynacomastia

If you look in to mirror and analyse critically, most of the time there is little difference on both side of chest depending on muscularity and underlying bony cage. it should be not appreciable on routine  day to day observation. further swelling go on reduction for 6 months   and  difference of size will reduce further.
if you feel fluid like feeling  you can do sonography to confirm or rule out  presence of fluid in breast 

Hope this information will help you

Get well soon

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon