Extended stay recovery facility?

I am fairly certain that I will be traveling for a "mommy makeover", therefore I will likely be alone, and I am having trouble finding any recovery facilities anywhere in the US that you can stay at for more than 1 night. I would like to stay until the drains are out. Are there any such facilities?

Recovery facilities

Yes, there are facilities where you can stay more than just a night. I would start by asking your surgeon for his or her referrals. The office should have a list since they work with out of state patients. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Extended stay recovery facility?

There are many options available in certain practices that have a great deal of out of state and out of country patients.

Beverly Hills, CA

Extended stay recovery facility

Thank you for your interesting question. Here in the Dallas area, there are a few extended stay surgery centers that are staffed by nurses and PAs. The medical staff is familiar with cosmetic procedures and can be of great assistance in the post operative period.  I'm not sure about the availability of food preparation at these facilities. Please consult with you plastic surgeon about available facilities in his area. 

Extended stay recovery center

You are very wise to consider this ahead of surgery. In Southern California, namely Newport Beach where I practice, there are several such recovery centers that accommodate out of town patients.  Typically after the first 1-3 nights, patients will not require as much care and the daily rate is reduced as well.  The nursing staff will provide the you with your meals, ice packs, bathing assistance and supportive care for as long as you might need.  I have had patients who have travelled from other states and stayed as long as 3 weeks before going home.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

Extended Stay Facilities

Yes.  Here in Atlanta, there are a couple of facilities either run and/or staffed by nurses for extended recovery after cosmetic surgery.  These facilities are great for after care help for patients who have traveled for cosmetic surgery.  Some will even prepare your meals and assist with errands.  There should be similar facilities in other major cities in the United States.  

Don't need to stay in hospital after a tummy tuck or mommy makeove

Drains are one thing that cause patients a lot of concern.  There is no need to worry. They are very easy to manage and the removal can be painless.  I typically for a small amount of anaesthetic in to remove the drain and people barely feel it.  The worry is far greater than the actual event.  I would generally tell my patients that they really don't need to stay in hospital for the sake of the drains.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training Program &
Assistant Clinical Professor,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Recovery facility and surgery

Thank you for the question. There are a variety of options if you want an extended stay after surgery. Drains can often be in for 1-2 weeks but there are options with local hotels and extended stay nursing centers. We have those options here and have a state approved facility. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Prolong stay after mommy makeover.

In my own practice we encounter patients who request assistance for more than a night after a mommy makeover. I have an overnight care facility were this is possible. We also have arrangements with nurses and hotels in the area for patients who prefer this route. All mommy makeover patients spend at least one night in our facility.

Long term stay after mommy makeover.

Hello and thanks for your question. I know a facility here in Scottsdale where patients can stay up to 10 days. However, I don't believe you will need to do that just for drain removal. I think it's best to get a recommendation from your plastic surgeon about expectations with recovery and drain removal once you decide what type of mommy makeover you are having. I would urge you to consider Scottsdale as an option as this area has become a hub for plastic surgery for people from the west and Midwest. Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Finding extended stay recovery unit for surgery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.

• The best person to ask is your surgeon's office manager.
  • Most surgery centers will only have patient's stay one night - they are not licensed as hotels.
  • Our patients from abroad will stay at a hotel, motel or rent a furnished apartment for their recovery and we keep a list of options.
  • Also also about nursing services to stay with you for the first 5 days.
  • You will need help in your recovery for at least that long. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.