I'm 6 weeks post op of full TT, Lipo and Breast reduction. Why do I have a ridge above my pubic area? (Photo)

My PS was honest with me and told me I'd still look thick, but I'm concerned about the ridge look. I do have delayed healing of inscision above pubic area. It's healing now but still has scabs.

Source of ridge above pubic area after mommy makeover

Dear Brandyi,

There are a handful of potential reasons to have the ridge that you have showed in your photos including:
  • swelling
  • excess fat compared to below the incision 
  • pseudo-bursa
  • seroma
At 6 weeks following a tummy tuck you are likely to have swelling still present.  If a seroma is present, a fluid wave can be detected or either a needle can be used to aspirate the seroma or an ultrasound can be performed to see if it is present.  Once swelling has subsided, if the ridge is still there liposuction of the area will likely help since at that time a thicker layer of fat above the incision as compared to below the incision is likely to be the case.  A pseudo-bursa can also be the case but much less likely than the above sources.  Removal of the pseudo-bursa can be accomplished via the incision.  This would be down the road once all healing has been completed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Swelling just above the incision of and abdominoplasty can create a Ridge for a number of months.

What you're experiencing is quite common and has to do with disruption of the usual lymphatic drainage of the skin of the abdomen. This will correct itself over time.

Too early to judge the outcome

At six weeks after tummy tuck it is much to early for you to worry about the ultimate outcome.  It takes 6 months for the swelling to go down and the results to become apparent.

6 week post-op tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures.  Thank for your honest comment on what your plastic surgeon discussed with you in terms of expectations.  It is very early in your result and there is definitely some swelling that you should anticipate should diminish with time. Good luck with the rest of your wound healing. Have you discussed compression wear with your surgeon?  

Post momm makeover

At only 6 weeks you certainly have scar tissue that would mask the result of your surgery. I tell my patients to be careful about salt intake as this can make swelling worse. It can easily take 3-6 months to see your final results after a big surgery like you had.  Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I'm 6 weeks post op of full TT, Lipo and Breast reduction. Why do I have a ridge above my pubic area?

At six weeks post op, the tummy tuck flap above the incision will still tend to be swollen.  It can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At that point, if you still have a ridge above the incision, it could be safe to consider some liposuction of this area.  Liposuctioning this area at the time of the tummy tuck would not have been an  option as this would have compromised the blood supply to the skin.  At six months post op, your TT flap will have established a new and more substantial blood supply and should be able to tolerate liposuctioning, if it becomes necessary.   But, give things time to heal.  It appears that you have had a very good result so far.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Ridge above tummy tuck scar

Thank you for your question and picture. At six weeks the ridge above your scar is, in some part, related to swelling. It is common to have fullness above the tummy tuck scar for some time.

If the ridge persists past 3-6 months it is due to three things:
1.  Different thickness of fatty tissue under the skin. If the fat layer above the scar is thicker than the fat layer below the scar a ridge like this can form.
2. If the incision opens or dehisces, the resulting scar can tether or anchor itself to the abdominal muscles. When this happens a ridge can form. 
3. abdominal contour is also changed with the muscle repair or muscle tightening. I don't think this is your problem, but it could be related. 

It is very important to discuss this with your PS who will have much more insight into your case. He/she will be able to better predict if this is related to swelling, scaring or fat thickness differences.