Sports bra? Scar cream? What other recommendations?

Officially 30 days before my procedure. (Breast aug) anyone has any suggestion on what brand of the sports bra I should get? And how do you choose on your sizes? Also, scar cream anyone?? Anything else I should get before procedure? Thank you!

Sports bra and other recommendations after breast augmentation

I would discuss follow up care with your surgeon.  My office provides comfortable front snapping sleep bras that we employ typically for two to three weeks time.  Our office will size you for your bras.  Occasionally a patient will have specific requirements that will necessitate a different style bra.  Most frequently I hear my colleagues recommend patients avoid a heavy underwire for comfort reasons immediately after the procedure.

As to your question regarding "scar creams", I have no investment in Mederma so I can report that from my review of the science there is some validity in the use of this product.  There are other products primarily silicone based which historically have also shown benefit.  Most of the other products (Vitamin E, Aloe, Cocoa Butter) are primarily anecdotal.  Many of my patients use them and achieve beautiful results but I can not recommend them scientifically.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pre Op Planning

Thank you for your question. Your Plastic Surgeon should really be the one to advise you about how to prepare as each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferences related to post op garments, activity restrictions, scar care, etc. I advise silicone gel application for scars once incisions have fully healed. I also provide a surgical bra with my BA procedures and patients wear it day and night for 8 weeks. Most surgeons will advise that you avoid underwire bras for a similar time period and something soft & supportive like a sports bra works well. If you can find one that does up in the front, even better. Ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you.

My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizes I recommend with a form-fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of how they will look. Based on the specific breast measurements I take and my patient's desired look, I usually offer a few similar options. Ask your Plastic Surgeon to help you through the sizing process.

All the best

Surgeons all have different opinions

so go with your surgeon's recommendations on what to do, what you need before surgery, etc.  In my practice, I provide a leisure bra post-op and if I think they are too full on top, will employ straps.  Scar cream is unheard of in my practice but provided to patients if they want to purchase it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Sports bra after breast implants? Scar cream? What other recommendations?

Most likely her plastic surgeon will use a surgical bra immediately after your breast augmentation.  Each surgeon has their own choice for sports bra to wear the main point is that the bra be supportive.  I use scar guard a topical silicon cream for treatment since scars beginning at 3-4 weeks after surgery.  2 Larmore on sizing please read the following Lenk:

Pre-Op Purchases

Hello, and thank you for your question. Hopefully you are close enough to your surgery that you have now been able to get all necessary advice from your surgeon on the post-op care that he/she recommends. Since there are so many options you should not get things that you will not need. Depending on your specific procedure and the needs of your surgeon based on your specific case, their advice would be the best for what you should expect during the healing process. Good luck to you!

Post-Operative Preparation

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you call your plastic surgeon and get his/her office recommendations. I say this for only one reason--I do not want you to waste your money!  Many of us are very particular and will not approve or endorse certain scar regimens or approve certain bras. In my office I provide the first bra to my patients after it is carefully fitted and selected (we carry at least three brands of bras).  Also we sell scar products that we have endorsed.  Hope this helps, good luck.

You are asking excellent questions; your plastic surgeon will be your best resource given that he/she will likely have his/her own preferences/protocols.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Pre-operative recommendations

I would speak to your surgeon. I provide my patients with a sports bra at the time of the procedure.  I generally hold of on scar manipulation until at least 2 weeks after surgery. All wounds gain strength approximately 10% per week, so closely follow your surgeons recommendations in terms of not trying to do too much too soon. Give yourself time to heal. Good luck!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation: Sports bra and scar cream recommendations

It's always wise to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. In my practice, we provide a sports bra; the band at the bottom of the bra is snug but not hurtful. This band underneath helps to recreate the natural crease under the breast. My patients wear this for about one week. I also have my patients hold off on scar creams until most of the incision healing is complete at 6 weeks. Skin does like moisture to enhance healing, and after a week of antibiotic ointment, I have my patients use a gentle moisturizer, like cocoa butter, vitamin E, or baby lotion, if the skin is dry. If it's gentle enough for a baby, then it's gentle enough for my patients. Hope this information is helpful and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon