Getting smaller breast implants and the risks?

I am 25 years old and have 450cc memory gel implants under the muscle for 3 years and I think they're way too big and I really wish I would have gone a lot smaller like more in the 200 range. I am fit, and my skin elasticity is pretty good. If i were to exchange my implants for smaller ones, what are the chances I would need a breast lift?

Going smaller should be fine

Thanks for your question. Without photos or an exam/measurements it is hard to comment. Based on the existing  implant dimensions and pocket characteristics, a new implant can be chosen that is more proportionate with your frame. Likely somewhere in the 275-325CC range would be a good size adjustment. To go from 450-->200CC would be a very big jump. If your nipple position is good now, it is unlikely you would need a lift. Implants don't lift the breast, they just make it bigger. The Memory Shape implant has a different profile however and can add a little more volume inferiorly and give the impression of lifting the breast. Best of Luck!

Downsizing implants?

I understand your concerns that your implant may be too large for your body.  Women with large breast implants can experience the same symptoms that women with naturally large breasts can experience -- difficulty with exercise, difficulty with finding the right clothes, back pain, neck pain, etc.  It is difficult to say if you will need a lift in addition to downsizing your implants without an in-person physical exam.  I have found that in women with good skin elasticity, I am frequently able to remove the implants completely or downsize without doing a lift.  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what options are best for you.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Lift

This question cannot be answered without photos or an examination.  

It depends on your current nipple position relative to the fold beneath your breast.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Without an exam there is no way to answer that question, and even with an exam we frequently cannot be sure if a lift will help when downsizing. My preference is to do the smaller implants (coupled with pocket size reduction to keep the implants where they look the best) and wait 3 months for the tissues to adjust. I suspect you will find no lift is necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Yes, you should be able to undergo downsizing of breast implants. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for.   Whether or not the adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorraphy) and/or breast lifting will be necessary will mainly be dependent on your physical examination and how much you choose to downsize; specifically, factors such as the amount of redundant skin and quality of skin elasticity will be important.    Complications that can occur include all of the potential risks/complications associated with the initial breast augmentation procedure.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.