Is a rhinoplasty and buccal fat removal realistic/good option? (Photo)

I am bothered that my nose is wide and when I smile the wide tip is accentuated, also on my profile my tip looks big and rounded, I wish it was more refined. I want to "westernize" my nose by-- narrowing my wide nose, and refining my nasal tip, so it's less bulbous, & overall have my nose be smaller and feminine. I also want to look into getting my buccal fat removed to have a slimmer face. Side note: As my family's faces age they don't tend to "sink in"

Rhinoplasty candidate

Hi Idelrosario,
You would be an excellent candidate for primary rhinoplasty.  Based on your photos you would benefit from both tip cartilage grafting and suturing techniques to improve your overall nasal projection and create refinement to the nose.  Narrowing of the bridge and lowering of the dorsum in the lower 2/3 would then create an ideal relationship of all areas of the nose to itself and thus the rest of your face giving a lovely improvement.  Buccal fat pad removal can be tricky.  An examination for that operation is critical as sometimes it is not just a fat issue but can be fullness of the Masseter muscles which create the mild amount of roundness that you are experiencing.  Thus, sometimes, buccal fat removal does not create the desired look you are hoping for.  Book a consultation in your are with a qualified specialist to discuss all your options.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic results with a rhinoplasty for wide nose

Yes,  closed rhinoplasty techniques can achieve the results you're trying to obtain by narrowing the wide nose.  In our practice, we do not recommend buccal fat pad removal since the face loses fat with the aging process anyway.  To narrow a wide nasal  bridge, osteotomies are performed on the nasal bones. To narrow the nasal tip, suture techniques are applied to the lower lateral cartilages. For many examples of narrowing a wide nose, please see the video below

Rhinoplasty candidate

Hi Idelrosario. To achieve your ideal look, your nose could use additional projection (defined as how far out the nose is from the face). This will create a more defined tip and narrow tip. I typically accomplish this with suture techniques to the cartilage of the lower tip and grafts from your own nasal cartilage. This will give your nose a more narrow, defined, and slightly upturned tip. Good luck. 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate

Hi Idelrosario, first off I think you are a great candidate for primary rhinoplasty. Your concerns are very reasonable and can definitely be addressed with surgery. I perform all of these types of cases via an open approach because I think the results, especially for the tip, are much more precise and predictable. The narrowing of the bridge / dorsum is fairly straightforward. The slight hump removal should be mostly cartilage (lower part of the nose) and minimal if any bone (upper part of nose). The tip bulbosity can be addressed with cartilage reshaping techniques and grafting. You lack significant tip projection as is typical with an Asian nose so in addition to narrowing, a tip graft will give you the cute, slightly perky more "Western" nose you desire. I see this quite frequently in Miami due to the similarities with Hispanic noses and the results are excellent. An in-office appointment with a rhinoplasty specialist who does preoperative imaging and photoshop would give you and idea of how the anticipated result would look. Good luck!

Is a rhinoplasty and buccal fat removal realistic/good option?

Both of these items may be reasonable, but an exam would be helpful for the buccal fat pad determination.

Rhinoplasty considerations

The bulbous tip and wide base of your nose suggest that you would be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. The buccal fat removal may not achieve the effect you desire if it is not the issue causing the facial shape.
If you would like more information on buccal fat removal or rhinoplasty, please read my book "A More Beautiful You  - Reverse Aging through skin care, plastic surgery and Lifestyle solutions".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose with bulbous tip.

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose with bulbous tip and hump.. These can be corrected to give a more attractive nose.I do not think you need fat removal since you will need this as you age so you don't look gaunt.

Rhinoplasty and Buccal Fat Removal

Your rhinoplasty goals are reasonable and achievable.  Select an experienced surgeon so you can achieve the natural result you desire. Regarding buccal fat removal I want to examine your cheeks before responding.