Reduction & Lift from a 32DD to 32 full B or small C. Total cost: overnight hospital care, surgeon & anesthesiologist = $10,000

I am 5'9. 130 pounds. All stress is held in my shoulders. I'm a engineer in a predominantly male field & have successfully concealed my large bust at the expensive of my posture. I've been fitted, I wear the correct bra & bra size. However, as I age pain on my traps has increased exponentially. I was very active but now can only wear strapless bras much less a sports bra. I'm confident in my surgeons skills but afraid to commit. In your professional opinion will the reduction help my pain?

Breast Reduction to Manage Discomfort

#BreastReduction candidates are those wishing to have smaller #breasts for a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical #discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #largeheavybreasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called #ReductionMammoplasty. 

Large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced. Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

Candidate for a BA

From your description it would appear that you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction.Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

#breastreduction
#smallerbreasts

Breast reduction questions and cost

Breast reductions can sometimes be covered by health insurance if you meet criteria for your carrier. Check with experienced BSPS and ask how many breast reductions they do each year. Ask to see photos.

Out of pocket breast reduction surgery is going to vary by area of the country and your surgeon. You may have liposuction under the arm included, you may/may not need an over night stay, etc. All of these are cost factors.   

Without photos and exam, it is impossible to give an opinion on whether or not I think you will see improvement.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Candidate?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform. However, much more information (nothing replaces in-person evaluation including a complete history and physical) is needed to determine whether you should proceed with surgery, and if so when (timing). In my practice, I individualize the “timing” of surgery based on a lot of information that is transmitted during the consultation process.  

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Be careful about utilizing terms such as “ideal” ( there is no such thing), “B or C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. Once you have communicated your goals, your chosen plastic surgeon will be able to give you an estimate of how much breast tissue will likely need to be removed to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your excellent question and I am sorry to hear of the issues your breasts are causing.  It is very difficult to promise that any surgery will reduce or remove pain from a patient because although we know that breasts can cause neck/shoulder/back pain there is no guarantee that the reduction will cure it.  Most breast reduction patients do see a benefit from surgery, however.  Hope that this helps.

Will breast reduction help my pain?

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to say for sure without seeing photos.  Having said that, breast reduction is considered to be one of the most satisfying procedures for patients undergoing plastic surgery.  For those with large breasts, the reduction can alleviate the stress on the neck, shoulders, back and improve posture.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS