My left breast is bigger than the right. Is this normal?

I had a breast augmentation non Feb 24th my doctor used 590cc on both sides with silicone my left breast was already bigger than the right one should he have made my right one a little bigger or is it too early to tell if they are going to even later on? And should i be wearing a wire bra?

You are only just over 2 weeks post operative. You are early in the healing process. Allow time for swelling to subside and implants to settle. 

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

It's still too early after surgery to make a final judgement about your final appearance.  Wait at least 3-6 months for the swelling and the implants to settle down before making your final critique.  Corrections for preoperative asymmetry can include a different approaches, including the use of different implant sizes or manipulation of the breast tissue and skin.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon to get better direction.  In my practice, my patients typically start wearing an underwire bra about 6 weeks after surgery.  Surgeons will differ with these recommendations - please discuss with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Too early to tell

Thanks for your question. It is normal for one to appear larger especially this early and with large implants. Any existing asymmetry is compounded by the implants particularly very large sizes like yours. The degree of asymmetry preoperatively dictates adjustments that are made intraoperatively. While it is not uncommon to use different size implants, you don't want create more of an asymmetry with the different sizes. Your surgeon hopefully will provide the insight you are looking for. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Left Breast Larger than the Right Post Augmentation

The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. It's common that each breast heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, speak to or schedule a visit with your surgeon.

You are still early in your recovery and it is too soon to make a final judgment on their appearance. It may take up to 6 months for your final results. Should you be concerned after this time, it may be best to speak with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I recommend patients where bras without underwire for at least 8 weeks after surgery. Every surgeon has their own protocol, I'd recommend speaking with your surgeon to determine their recovery protocol. 

All the best.