Does this appear to be necrosis or beginning stages of necrosis? 14 days post open TT and Lipo (Photo)

I'm worried that I may have necrosis. I do not smoke and I do not have diabetes. The area above my incision is darker that the rest of my abdomen and I cannot decipher whether it is just bruising or beginning stages of necrosis.

Necrosis After TT

Dear luvlinessa,

It is hard to say looking at your pictures and not having a physical exam. However, this does not look like necrosis to me. Most often if there is going to be necrosis from poor circulation to the area above the incision line, that incision will usually open up between days 8 and 10 with leakage of fluid and dead fat underneath. That you have gone 14 days makes me feel more optimistic for you. That being said, keep a close eye on any redness. If an infection were to take hold it would increase the oxygen demands of your tissues and could push you over the border into necrosis.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

TT necrosis

Thank you for your question. It does not appear necrosis. It may be bruising or from lipo. I recommend to see your PS for evaluation.

Necrosis?

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures, but it is hard to tell from the pictures alone. It appears to be bruising, but it is best you discuss your concern with your plastic surgeon.  Even it is necrosis it appears like very small areas that could heal quickly.  

Is this necrosis following a TT and lipo

Hi luvlinessa,

It does not look like necrosis right now, but rather some bruising. This area just above the suture line probably has the least amount of blood flow, so this could account for the effect that you see. If the color gets worse or if you are just concerned, go see your plastic surgeon. I'm sure that he/she will want to reassure you and keep a close eye on your progress. For now, take it easy. Do not do activities that stress your incisions. When you are resting, keep your legs up.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Tummy tuck bruising

The photos appear to be okay. It doesn't look like necrosis and is likely bruising/healing. However, the best way to know if there is anything wrong is with a physical exam, so be sure to see your plastic surgeon so he/she can take a look.

Best wishes!

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Is this Necrosis or Beginning Stage of Necrosis

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

In order to help determine the proper healing process it would be best to meet with your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that healing is progressing as it should. Follow-up appointments with your surgeon can keep up with the progress of the healing process and confirm that the incisions are healing well and steadily. Good luck.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Concern

Thanks for your question and photos. You appear to have some bruising, but there is no evidence of necrosis.  I suggest discussing your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

TT concerns

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us.  At this stage, I do not see significant necrosis.  The discoloration can be caused by resolving bruising, and this is normal.  However, when anything doesn't seem right, I always suggest you check with your plastic surgeon to get reassurance that everything is ok.  Nothing beats an in-person evaluation.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. EmmanuelMallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Concern about healing after TT

Hello luvlinessa,

At 2 weeks post-op you are still in the early stages of healing.  From you photos I do not see any signs of necrosis which would be apparent at this time after surgery. I do see some discoloration in the lower abdomen which is often due to resolving bruising.  I would be sure to communicate your concerns to your plastic surgeon so that s/he can evaluate you and best determine if there is any reason for concern.

Best of Luck with your healing!

Dr. Rednam