How long after giving birth can I get a breast implant?

How long after giving birth can I get a breast implant

My advice is to wait 3 months after all the breast milk has dried up to lessen the chance of any breast milk potentially contaminating the implant during insertion.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I recommend that you wait 6 months after you finish breast feeding prior to undergoing elective surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Implants following birth

Thank you for your question. I advise my patients to wait at least 3-6 months following the last month of breastfeeding due to all of the changes in hormones and body shape. Even if you have not breastfed, I would wait at least a minimum of 3 months to see your preferred plastic surgeon for a consult to give your body some time to recover.Best of luck with your procedure!

Fred Hackney, MD

Breast implants after baby?

Pregnancy causes many changes to your body.  As your hormones return to baseline after the birth of the baby, your breasts will change.  To allow adequate time for your breasts to stop producing milk and for them to return to their new size and shape after your baby, you will want to wait about 3-6months before having breast implants.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

6 months

I agree with my colleagues; 6 months after lactation, for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. Best of luck to you!

Breast implant after the cild birth

Thank you for your question. I usually recommend six months after lactation before breast  surgery. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Waiting time to get BBA after pregnancy and breast feeding

Pregnancy coupled with breast-feeding causes significant changes in the breast including breast sagging and reduction in breast size. The breasts must return to a stable baseline. This means that triggered lactation or milk production from the breasts would need to stop (e.g., spotting on the bras would reduce in frequency) and size of the breast would need to stop changing. If you breastfeed your child, the waiting time required to get a breast augmentation becomes longer.

A general rule most surgeons follow is that patients should wait at least 6 months after breast feeding before having breast augmentation to decrease the risk of wound infection that can occur due to lactating milk ducts and spillage of milk within the surgical field resulting in contamination of the breast implant.  

If the nipple discharge occurs without stimulation you should probably wait to have surgery.  If it is only with stimulation, it is fine to have surgery after 6 months. The actual time will depend on how much your body changes and the preference of your surgeon.

Right after pregnancy, your breasts will be enlarged with milk.  For some period of time after stopping breastfeeding, your breasts will involute (decrease in size).  You want to be certain that the breast has reached a stable size before considering breast augmentation, otherwise your breasts will not be as full as desired after surgery.

Respecting this time frame prevents us from doing the surgery prematurely (i.e., while your breast shape and size is still changing), and also reduces risk of complications like infection, inflammation, and capsular contracture.

However, wound infection is mostly an issue for periareolar (around the nipple) incisions, not inframammary (under the breast) and transaxillary (under the armpit) incisions. When the implant is placed through the areola (dark pigmented region around the nipple), there are higher chances of implant contamination and capsular contracture, infection, etc. As such, ceasing of milk discharge is more of an issue for the periareolar incision.

You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best timing for your surgery.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Post-pregnancy timing of breast surgery depends on many factors

One of the unavoidable facts of pregnancy is that it also causes very real changes in the breasts, even if we decide not to breastfeed.  Thus, we shouldn't contemplate any surgery on the breasts until we are pretty sure that those changes have reversed, and the breasts have returned to a stable baseline.  This means not only that the breasts are not producing milk or colostrum any longer, but that the size, volume, and shape of the breasts has stabilized (for better or worse!), and the tissues have reached equilibrium.  While we may not like the eventual appearance of the breasts once this happens, we don't want to move too quickly and "shoot at a moving target," as I like to say.  Of course, if we breastfeed the baby, this timeout from surgery will be longer because there is the total time of active breastfeeding to consider, and then the time for the breasts to return to baseline after full weaning.  In my experience this time is typically a minimum of 3 months after weaning/lactation, and it could be longer depending upon the individual lady, how much breast glandular tissue she has, etc.  Usually it's pretty evident when we reach this point though, because the breasts stabilize in size and shape, and there is no longer any milk production, spotting of the bras, and the like.  It is very important to respect this time frame because not only is our accuracy affected by operating too soon before the breast has finished changing, but if we make incisions into actively lactating milk ducts, there can be "spillage" of milk into the operative field, causing contamination of the implant with potential infection or capsule contracture.  If you are contemplating breast augmentation surgery after childbearing, it would be best for you to schedule some consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who have a lot of experience with aesthetic surgery of the breasts.  Even though surgery may be a ways off for you, it would still be good for you to start getting answers to your questions and forming a relationship with a surgeon.  I am always happy to meet patients at this early juncture, even if we aren't planning surgery for next week, because that allows us both to get acquainted, it allows my patients to gather all the information they need about implants, surgical options, and recovery planning, and I think it helps them be more prepared overall for the procedure.  In addition to being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org or ABMS.org. Good luck.

If you are considering breast enhancement surgery, I would definitely recommend waiting until you are completely finished lactating and have reached a long term stable weight.  3-6 months is usually a good amount of time after breast-feeding to have breast surgery.  
When it comes right, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.  ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   Best wishes.