Is a lift an absolute must for grade II ptosis? (Photos)

I've been told by a PS I am at a grade II ptosis. I would prefer a natural, full look. I have no issues with where my breast a currently lay, just their look of deflation. Will implants get me my desired look?

Is a breast lift an absolute must for grade II ptosis?

The concern is that if you have breast implants without a lift the implants will push the nipple further down and create a snoopy deformity.  Based on your photograph if you want to have implants he most likely will need a left.   To understand more please read below:

Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,You actually have grade III ptosis. You would not look normal with implants alone. You should visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast lift?

Definitely discuss your questions and concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Based on your photos, you would benefit from a breast lift (mastopexy) in addition to implants.  The breast lift doesn't change where your breasts lay on your chest; rather it re-centralizes the nipple areola complex over the breast mound -- right now your nippls are below your breast tissue; the goal of a lift is to place them over the central portion of your breast mound.  If you only have an augmentation, without a lift, in all likelihood the implant and the breast would not appear to be one unit.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Is a lift an absolute must for grade II ptosis?

Thank you for your question.  Simply, yes, a lift is necessary for grade 2 ptosis.  A lift with or without implants will provide an improved shape.  The lift with implants will provide fullness to the breast, especially in the upper pole where the deflation is most evident.  A large implant is usually not necessary, when combined with a lift, to provide a very nice youthful and natural look.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss  your options.  

Thank you for the question. Given the amount of ptosis, a lift is mandatory if you are considering an augmentation. An augmentation without a lift will give you an unnatural appearance. The implant will sit high, and the breast can sag off of the implant. This is called a waterfall deformity.A lift and implant surgery can be performed during the same surgery. Not everyone is a candidate for this, so discuss this option with your plastic surgeon.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Is a lift an absolute must for grade II ptosis

I have to respectfully disagree with the surgeon you have seen. In grading breast ptosis, it goes form 1-4 and I think you have a grade 3 bordering on a 4 due to the location of the breast tissue mostly below the crease of the breast and your nipples almost pointing to the floor. I think a breast lift is indicated in your case.

Julio Garcia, MD

Based on the included photos it appears unlikely you can get a nice result from implants alone. The odds are the implant would sit where the breast volume should be and the drooping breast tissue and skin would hang off the implants. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lift is essential

Thanks for your question and the photos. You will need both a lift and an implant to get a pleasing result. Your nipple areolar complex sits too low to simply do an implant alone. A lift alone is not an option because there is not enough volume in your current breast to get a good shape. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. The Smart Beauty Guide is an excellent resource.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Grade 2 ptosis

Great question!  By your photos the breast is indeed too low and an implant only will give a very unnatural look.  My fear is that you would be back in a short period of time to have the lift.  Two surgeries instead of one. 

I hope this helps.  Best of luck.

James L. Moore, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon