Larger breast right after surgery. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had round 475 cc implants put in this morning and have noticed one is slightly larger. Could this just be from swelling? My breast were not different seizes before just loss of volume due to nursing 2 kids.

Asymmetric Breasts After Surgery

Thank you very much for your question.

Slight differences in breast size after breast augmentation is to be expected.  The swelling will subside and the implants will settle at different rates over the next few months.

If the swelling in one breast continues to worsen significantly, I recommend you contact your surgeon to discuss the issue. Best of luck!

Chicago General Surgeon

Give it some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Asymmetry post op

Most people have slightly different sized breasts or one fold slightly higher than the other. This can be more obvious to you shortly after surgery when everything is swollen. Most often it will even out as they heal. 

If you note a drastic increase in size/firmness/pain let your Plastic Surgeon know.

All the best 

One-sided breast swelling

One-sided breast swelling needs to be examined by your surgeon. Especially in the first day or two after surgery it is important that your surgeon rule out any kind of blood collection such as a hematoma. These need to be addressed sooner rather than later. So, contact your surgeon so he she can advise you further.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Larger breast right after surgery. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question.  It could be swelling but it could also be a fluid collection or hematoma.  Be sure to see your surgeon immediately to be evaluated.  Over time, the swelling goes down and the implant also settles down.  If you are not happy with your result by 3-6 months, you can discuss with your surgeon regarding options for revision.  It's best to wait at least this amount of time before making a final judgement.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Changes after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! Yes it could be just from swelling or it could be something more serious. It is best to go and see your Plastic Surgeon and go over your specific concerns as to what may be causing your swelling and any discomfort. It is best for your surgeon to examine you as well. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time, but it is best to go see your Plastic Surgeon for a checkup.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Needs a recheck

The right beast is more swollen and bruised so your surgeon should give you some guidance on how to proceed.
This could be fine or there could be extra blood in that needs attention.
Let your surgeon know.

Best to see your surgeon

The photo is not entirely clear.  If one feels significantly firmer or more tender, it may represent more than just swelling.  I would speak with your surgeon's office and express your concern.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS