My implants are 25 years old. The right breast is causing pain below the implant. I think it has dropped. Any suggestions?

Breast pain from 25 year old implants

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your pain.  Causes could include encapsulation, rupture, or a muscle strain, etc.  I suggest you see a plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  Good Luck.  

Breast implant pain

Thank you for the question. With the implants that are this old, and are causing pain, the most likely cause is some form of capsular contracture.  Normally all implants form a capsule, but when it hardens were causes pain this can be severe contracture. While not all implants have this, every year the risk increases, and by 10 years the risk can be as high as 10%. If you are suffering from this, you may be a candidate to have the implants removed and the scar tissue removed as well. In my experience, when we remove the implants and scar tissue, patients feel much better. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Painful breasts

You may have what is called capsular contracture where the scar tissue around the implant has tightened.  That would not be surprising in implants that are 25 years old.  But with any breast pain, you must look into other options as well.  I encourage you to see your primary care physician or gynecologist for an exam and potentially a mammogram.  You can also schedule an appointment with a plastic surgeon in your area for an evaluation.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD