I had a lift done 15 months ago. I am now going in for breast implants. Do I go with teardrop or round?

I had a lift done 15 months ago. I am now going in for breast implants. What I'm having trouble deciding is if I should go with teardrop or round implants. I have a longer chest I'm not exactly small chested now 34 d. I'm getting 350 in size of implants. I can't find pictures o breasts after a lift with teardrop implants so it's making my decision very hard. Thanks

Shaped or round

Unfortunately it is impossible to give you proper advice without a thorough examination and discussion.   Shaped implants can provide advantages for tall chests, wide chests, low set breasts, etc. depending upon your anatomy and goals.  Smooth round implants also have advantages.  I recommend an extensive consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with all types of implant options. I hope this helps

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Please send pictures

It is hard to give good answer without pictures. I would recommend consultation with multiple board certified plastic surgeon and let them give recommendations. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your important question.  Each plastic surgeon will have differing recommendations based on experience and in summary both implants work well.  None is perfect, however I have remained with round smooth silicone gel implants for most of my three decades plus career based on my excellent experience with them.  In a meeting of board-certified plastic surgeons in San Francisco a few years ago we were shown photographs of patients without being told whether they had round or anatomic shaped implants (teardrop shaped) and our accuracy was approximately 50% pointing out that any difference was not discernible.  Another recent study was published in which during surgery a round and a teardrop shaped implant was placed temporarily and they were equal in quality of outcome.  So, my advice is to allow your plastic surgeon to choose the actual implant for you during the surgical procedure and use what he/she is most comfortable with recommending.  I know in my hands it would be a round smooth mid profile or mid-profile plus implant.  Since the difference is not that great between any of the implants I would suggest that you relax and simply enjoy your results as you will probably do quite well.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast choices

Thanks for your inquiry.  Unfortunately without an exam and measurements it is hard to advise.  Please get a few opinions.  In general teardrop implants appear more natural with less upper pole for any given volume. Good Luck.  

Implant choice is difficult

There are 3 basic implant implant fillers:

1. Saline
  2. Silicone
  3. Form stable silicone

The most natural feeling implant is #2 above.  It also wrinkles and ripples less than the other two.  Form stable silicone implants work best in breast reconstruction where we are trying to re create breast shape after the entire breast has been removed.  For cosmetic enhancement my vote would be for round silicone.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon