Didn't give consent procedure?

I went in for a implant/lift. That was all explained to me and I agreed. When under sedation, the doctor decided to cut away some fat under my armpits and did lipo. I was not informed that this would happen or give consent. I expected a 2-3" scar under my breast. I now have about a scar that extends almost all the way to my back on both sides. I feel mutilated and that I wasn't given the choice. Why and how would a doctor choose to do this without discussing the impact?

Didn't give consent procedure?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Sometimes decisions are made in the operating room that are meant to make your outcome better.

Consent for Surgery

It is best to discuss your concerns with your Operating Surgeon, and read your pre-operative consent forms. Usually, the scars are discussed both at the consultation as well as the pre-op appointment at the time of signing consent forms

I would suggest discussing all your concerns when you go back to see him. Also, read all the information you were given from his office. Perhaps the explanation is in the literature you received.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon