Would there be any disadvantage to getting implants after a lift if I'm unhappy with just the lift?

I am scheduled to get a lollipop breast lift in August under local anesthesia. I am also scheduled for a tummy tuck (general anesthesia) in February 2017. I am considering the possibility of adding implants to fill in some loss of mass up top of my breast. However, I'd like to avoid it if possible. Are there any disadvantages (scar wise or anything else) to having just the lift done in Aug to see if I'm happy, then having implants added at the same time as the tummy tuck if I'm not?

Is it possible to place breast implants after a lift?

It sounds like you and your surgeon have a very well thought out approach. Doing the lift under local anesthesia will save you much of the extra monetary cost of doing your lift and implants separately which is really the only downside beside two recovery times. Given that you are having a tummy tuck in February, you won't add anything much to that recovery time if you choose to add implants then. 

Best of luck. 

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best of luck. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, have a great day!!

If you are unsure if you want breast implants, it is perfectly reasonable to have the breast lift alone.  If after the surgery you feel you need added volume a breast lift could always be performed as a secondary procedure.  Discuss this option with your surgeon for their opinion, as well.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Implant can be placed later

Based on the information you have shared, I think you have a very good plan.  If you decide you want implants, they can be placed using the vertical scar from your lift.

Implant can be placed later

Implants can be placed at same time or different times as breast lift

I have added a link that might be helpful...

Hi tummyissues.  If you decide to have implants placed at a later time, your PS will utilize the vertical scar that will be first created during the lollipop lift, so no new scars.  An implant is a good way of creating upper pole fullness and enough firmness that you don't always have to wear a bra in strapless clothing (sometimes not the case when only a lift is done).  In my practice, it is most common to place the implant, do the lift and the tummy tuck in one procedure as patients prefer one period of downtime/time off work, one anesthetic, etc. and generally speaking, one combined surgery is less expensive.  Good luck!

Timing

If you are planning on 2 procedures and 2 recoveries then by all means have the lift first to see if you will be satisfied or not.

While breast implants are great, they are not without future problems such as eventual rupture, possible capsular contracture or malposition.  

I'd go for the lift and live with them for a bit.  If they still aren't 'perky' or 'full' enough for you then implants will be a great add on to your February surgery.

Joseph Thornton, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Timing

Joseph Thornton, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift alone: not a home run. Add an implant and you have a very much happier patient. I don't believe it is possible, despite what some surgeons claim, to use the patient's own tissue to create long lasting upper fullness. For these reasons I virtually never do breast lifts alone. Even a small implant transforms the result and leads to vastly greater patient satisfaction. Good luck!