Would a breast reduction, possibly with a lift be a good choice for me?

June 2015 I got a lift with implants. I was already a full D, sometimes DD but now I'm full DDD. I have silicone, under the muscle implants. (I think they're 435cc). I experience a lot of shoulder pain that also causes neck pain. I'm starting to really think it has a lot to do with the size of my breasts. I'm considering having them removed with a reduction but afraid I will also need another lift if I do this.

Would a BR be a good choice for you?

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:
  • Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Would a be a reduction be a good choice for me?

Thank you for your question.  Your implants are most likely the cause of your discomfort and the size of your breasts could also be a contributing factor as well.  Removing your implants will help with your shoulder and back pain but you breasts still may droop or sag.  Depending on where your scars are you might need a revision of your lift to give you a better aesthetic look.  I would consult with your surgeon who could give you further advise.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Removal of your implants will help relieve the weight of your breasts, but will likely leave your breasts droopy. A reduction or lift will likely be necessary to bring your breasts back to a more youthful appearance. The lift will elevate the position of the nipple and remove some loose skin to make the breasts appear more youthful and perky.Consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and ask as many questions as you can!Good Luck,

Lifting is part of a Reduction

Yes, having your implants removed alone will help with your discomfort (and you may need drains to close down the pockets), but your results will be markedly better if you have a repeat lift (+/- significant tissue reduction) at the same time.  The good news is that you probably already have the necessary incisions/scars in place (unless just a minor lift at the level of the nipple - a "donut" mastopexy - was performed the first time), and your new incisions should not be that much more extensive (if at all).  Hope this helps!